Home

MotS Randomly "fast forwarding" Cut Scenes

GreasyDogMeat

I recently got a copy of MotS and during and video cut scene, such as the introduction telling what Kyle has been up to since Jedi Knigh, it randomly fast forwards through the cut scene.

One moment it will fast forward 10 seconds of the scene so it's impossible to read and the next time I watch it will fly through a different part. Sometimes it zooms past almost the entire scene, others it will only skip a few seconds. The odd thing is that I also have Jedi Knight and none of the cutscenes skip like this.

Is there any way to either fix this problem or to open up the movie files and watch them in something like Media Player or Quick Time?

I'm running Windows 2000 and have upgraded all my graphics drivers for my Radeon 9700.

Oh, I may as well ask about this as well:

If I run in software mode, anytime I hit escape to view my current objectives, look at the map or check on my force progression, then click on return to game the game quits to the desktop. I have found a way around this though, if I go into display, and change the brightness one or two clicks up or down THEN click return to game it doesnt quit to desktop. Minor problem but any work arounds besides resetting the brightness every time?

Also, if I run in hardware acceleration mode the animation of weapons in hand run at super speed. For instance, the pistol in his hand as he runs forward jerks back and forth as if he were the flash, yet he's still moving at normal speed and all enemies are as well.

My biggest concern though, is the getting the cutscenes working in game, or being able to watch them in some sort of video player as it's very difficult to get the story when it keeps skipping dialog.

Thanks in advance.

You could try running the system analyzer program and see if that helps. Newer systems may have quirks with the game but it should run well. The only problem I had with JK is on faster systems the first person saber animations will be slightly slower than the actual hits (ie: you'll hit before the animation finishes, but in third person it's fine). Also as we all know the HUD shrinks as your resolution increases, so eventually it may be too tiny to view without eyestrain (an oversight on the part of the developers, not planning ahead for future resolutions higher than what was standard at the time).

You can try unchecking backbuffer in system memory and restart MotS to see if that helps. Otherwise I would check LucasArts.com 's support pages (Yoda's Help Desk) and try some of the solutions they have listed for problems.

Thanks for the advice. Disabling backbuffer made things worse in either software mode or hardware acceleration mode. All the tricks I've tried have so far been unsuccesful, however...

The good new is, similer to my brightness trick, I've found an unorthodox way to view the movies. Holding the space key to pause and play the movies rapidly as they play in game plays them at super slow motion with the sound very choppy. This may be ugly as heck but atleast, with subtitles on, I can hear/see what is being said as the game progresses. I don't mind it, I mainly wanted to understand the story in the first place.

I know what you mean about changing the resolution. When I first started playing Jedi Knight I set the res to 1024x768 and had a hard time making out the health. I play JK and MotS at 800x600 as, for me, it's a good mix of visual quality with being able to read the display.

Nope, afraid not. Not a big deal though. I finally beat mysteries of the sith and played all the cut scenes while holding the space bar.

The last level in MotS was the hardest I've played of the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series thanks to all the Sith Undead and large cat like beasts even despite the lack of a real ending boss.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived