Home

item/level restrictions

spinkle

is there a list of what items will spawn at certain levels in kotor 2? i've never (legitimately) gotten past level 29--and then only towards the very conclusion of the endgame, when items and upgrades pretty much cease to matter--so there are a lot of things in the giveitem spawn list that i've never seen.

i've also never gotten my player-name crystal past sixth level =\ (again, legitimately =) despite having played through the game about 20 times and diligently recovering mines, unlocking doors, and overplaying kreia...

It is truly a pity that you cannot gain all items the regular way .... I would love to have some of these robes, but I really don't like cheating in a regular game :(

Would anyone like to create a mod which lets you gain all items even if you are only level 30- ?

In order to figure out at what levels certain loot becomes available you will have to do some simple math. A number I will call ITEMLEVEL below determines at what player character levels a particular item will spawn, like this:

1. Calculate initial ITEMLEVEL value, PlayerLevel is the character level of the main character:
    ITEMLEVEL = PlayerLevel + (random number 0 to 7) - 5
    I.e. the ItemLevel would be a number between (PlayerLevel - 5) to (PlayerLevel + 2).

2. If the ITEMLEVEL is more than 30, change it to:
    ITEMLEVEL = 30 - (random num 0 to 6)
    I.e. the ItemLevel would be a number between 24 to 30 if it ended up above 30 in the first step above.

3. If the game determines that a RARE item spawn should be done, add +5 to the ITEMLEVEL, i.e. 35 Max.
    The game determines if it should do a RARE item spawn by generating a random number between 0-94 and adding a modifier to this. The modifier starts at 0 and is increased with +3 any time a Non-rare spawn is done. When the 0-94+modifier value becomes higher than 100, a rare spawn is done. Loot spawned on Jedi have a +3 bonus to the modifier value as well.

4. Recalculate the ItemLevel for some item types:
    Lightsabers:            ITEMLEVEL = (ITEMLEVEL - 3) / 3 
    Weapon Upgrades:        ITEMLEVEL = ITEMLEVEL / 2
    Lightsaber upgrades:    ITEMLEVEL = (ITEMLEVEL - 6) / 2
    Power crystals:         ITEMLEVEL = ITEMLEVEL - 5
    Color crystals:         ITEMLEVEL = (ITEMLEVEL - 5) / 3 + 2
    Implants:               ITEMLEVEL = ITEMLEVEL / 3
    Armor/Robes:            ITEMLEVEL = ITEMLEVEL / 2
    Droid Upgrades/Armor:   ITEMLEVEL = ITEMLEVEL / 2
    Droid Shields*:         ITEMLEVEL = ITEMLEVEL / 3
    All other item types:   Unchanged

* If the Droid shield ItemLevel is higher than 6, substract -4.

5. The ITEMLEVEL you have now is the number at the end of the ResRef of the item. I.e. if your item level ended up at 28 and it was a belt, you would get a_belt_28.uti , the Immortality Belt.

Since the ITEMLEVEL is capped at 30 in step 2, and a RARE modifier adds +5 to this after the cap, the maximum possible treasure drops would be reached at player level 28, beyond which your chance to get the best loot decreases somewhat.

Type:                   Max ItemLevel (rare)
--------------          --------------------
Lightsabers:            9 (11)
Weapon upgrades:        15 (18)
Saber upgrades:         12 (15)
Power crystals:         25 (30)
Color crystals:         10 (12)
Implants:               10 (12)
Armor/Robes:            15 (18)
Droid upgrades/armor:   15 (18)
Droid shields:          10 (12)
Everything else:        30 (35)

From this you can see that the max normal itemlevel corresponds fairly well to the highest numeric suffix of the UTI Resrefs.

However, in the case of rare drops it has the potential of exceeding those numbers, resulting in item Resrefs that do not exist in the game. And since the game doesn't check if an item actually exists when it tries to spawn it, Rare drops at player level 28+ often results in nothing at all being spawned instead. Also note that items with a lower ITEMLEVEL suffix become unavailable as you go up in level, so if you level up quickly you will miss out on a large chunk of the available items. :)

As you may also have noticed, the ItemLevel on robes is capped at 15 for normal drops and 18 for Rare drops. This means that no robe with a higher ItemLevel than the Dark Jedi Master Robe (a_robe_18.uti) will be spawned by the Random Loot system. a_robe_19 up to a_robe_30 will never be spawned as loot, with the exception of the Ossus Keeper robes since those are not spawned by the Random Loot system. Do note that certain NPCs (Fassa on Nar Shaddaa for example) giving a random item as a reward will ignore the ItemLevel cap and could give out those robes as a reward, though you'd be required to be very high level (40+) to get them in those cases. I am fairly certain that this is a bug/oversight on Obsidian's part since it makes little sense to make templates for a bunch of robes that are never used if you play the game normally. :)

So, if you want to see at what level a particular item can be spawned as loot, look at the numeric suffix at the end of the filename and compare it according to the above. :)

Thanks for your answers Stoffe; Truly a pitty that the random loot system is bugged. Any chance someone will make a mod to fix it? :) Gotta love wearing Nomi Sunrider's or Darth Malak's robes :cool:

If I remember correctly the "Random loot" modification linked to in my signature below has the robe bug fixed for most spawns. Though the resref number "overflow" is still present. Since I have added my own custom modded items with the missing numbers for all item categories I haven't bothered to fix that in the scripts. :)

Unless someone has a better fix and you want to use it, download and unpack the RAR archive and place the files in the compiled folder in the archive into your game's override folder. If you have the USM mod installed you may want to move the the 000_custom_loot.ncs file into your Override as well.

Archived