Home

Future of SWG

Justus

Saw this on the VN boards over at IGN http://vnboards.ign.com/SWG_General_Discussion/b5184/

Apologize if this has been discussed, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:37 pm Post subject: These plans are a bit dated at this point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I heard about the NGE six months ago when it started though I actually thought it was a new game my source was telling me about or that. Maybe it was a large expansion. When TooW arrived I thought that was it. Sadly the NGE arrived and I knew the awful truth. Anyway it was a totally different team working on the NGE not the second tier devs or the guys they brought over from matrix.

Previous plans asside this info is actually quite moot at this point. These plans have all been scrapped even though the data may be stored for reiteration at some point in some other product.

From what my friend told me and he has been fired by the way. The situation is entirely too bleak for words. Right now the whole project is in a form of limbo. There simply is not the playerbase now to generate profitability. The trials of obiwan has generated negative cash flow position, and the NGE code and previous code incarnations are at practical war with one another. Not least of concerns is that LA is very agitated by the no profit margin situation.

Unfortunately this all boils down to one thing people still in the game are going to be left with a very limited developement cycle. In all reality the NGE is not going to be around much longer nor will there be a rollback. The realization is that this would not bring back enough players.

From what I have heard there are 2 options on the table. Option 1 is to reimplement a pre Cu system in a couple months as a sort of grand reopening either through sony or a third party who will buy or lease the original engine. With a very small developement cycle. Option 2 is that SOE keeps the license or is relegated merely to server hosting duties. Which SOE at this point seems to prefer. Anyway developement of SWG 1.5 shall commence. This will not be a playable product persay when developement starts all servers will come down. The servers will then return late next year. The new game will recycle a great deal of material from the original game enviroment item models, but the base line engine will be different one that will be very upgradeable.

The reasons for this are simple instead of a 2.5 year production schedule the product can be up and running in a shorter time frame because it does a high degree of recycleing. Which might be a good thing. No matter what maybe early to late february expect to see 1 or 2 options implemented or maybe a combination of both. Where a smaller company obtains swg original matrix and can port over current or previous users, and the swg team will be ported over to work on the rebuild with a few newly hired team.

Right now there is no good solution the oppinion in the offices is that the damage is irrevocable. The players still will not trust the product even if a rollback were enacted, and doing the additional recodeing on what now is a very high risk propostion may be good money following bad. So the choice is either sell or pawn the license off on someone else, or do a signigifigant redevelopement cycle in alpha stage. Either way from what I understand the entire NGE system is scrap. In this sense they have listened to the player and even discounting the bugs most players have expressed they hate the entire concept.

Aye i saw this earlier on,its looking bleak now for the game,and frankly its no bad thing.

It makes no sense to throw good money after bad,the final nail in the coffin was the "expansion" that was not an expansion.

It's a horrible slow death to what,for me at least,was the best MMO game there was.

Archived