Home

10 day trial. 20 minutes. 4 crashes.

Manny C

G'day pple. As a participant of some of the discussion regarding the NGE, those of you who have partaken in discussion on the aformentioned subject would know that, so far, I'm pro-NGE, but purely based on my own opinions and judgement pending actual experience with the NGE.

Just this morning, I decided, having eliminated all near-future obligations, that i would try SOE's ten day trial to see these NGE in action. I was excited, the character creation seemed improved to some extent from the original, and the cutscene proved promising. However, upon loading the tutorial, i was met by blinding walls of purple artifacting, severly inhibiting my sense of direction because i couldn't really see anything. However, I pressed on through the flickering purple images, having fiddled around with my graphics settings and installing new drivers and still being cursed by the imposing, metamorphosizing purple sheets.

Other than my inability to see, the game seemed much improved. the new form of combat seemed far more accessible, and the menus and skills seemed far better organised. However, this didn't really make up for the impositions preventing me from progressing. Despite my inability to see, i managed to progress, but was halted by 4 client crashes while playing. After the fourth crash, I looked at my watch and noticed that i had only been playing the game for 19 minutes and 26 seconds, a fact that i found quite disturbing considering the 10 day trial is supposed to be a tool to make me want to subscribe the full version.

If first impressions are anything, I don't think i need to play for 10 days to get the picture.

Despite this, my hope for this game vainly continues, so if anyone knows how to prevent client crashes, or knows how to get rid of my artifacting, please let me know.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Before playing the game. First check that your PC meets the requirements. The biggest problem with games not working, is the issue with graphic cards and their drivers.

Make sure you update these. To find out about your system, visit Game advisor. http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/index.jsp - it will download some software. Compare your PC against City Of Heroes/Villians and see the results.

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

The game advisor is great but....it doesnt know the difference between graphic cards. I cant really research into your card at the moment (tried looking around google) but I cant remember if that card supports T&L(transform lighting) I think it does but not sure.

Just to make sure, have you got direct x9c on installed? If not - that WILL be your problem. You might need to run a dxdiag check so I can have a look at any issues there.

To do that,

click on START

click on RUN

then type in dxdiag << as I have typed it all lower case, no spaces

it might ask you to digtially assign something, click yes. Then let it run. takes a few moments.

The first page, will tell you if you have direct x9c installed. Then click on DISPLAY and give me all the details on the left, then the right - where it says drivers.

If you DONT have Direct x9c installed, you wont need to do the above at this stage

DMUK

i do have direct x9c, and its kinda strange because i used to play galaxies and it ran fine, but now with the NGE its stuffing up. It's been quite a long time since ive played it but i cant imagine why it would be screwing up, nothing else really does. I get some nastly artifacting in KOTOR 2 sometimes and sometimes in prince of persia, but no crashing. And it does support T&L

Here's that info

Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll

Version: 6.14.0010.8195

Date: 11/11/2005

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Mini VDD:nv4_mini.sys

VDD: n/a

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Guest DarthMaulUK

You can do two things. Firstly, you can REMOVE your graphic card drivers, then do a complete fresh install with the new drivers. Sometimes, the new Forceware Nvidia drivers can create problems with the old ones. Not always..but sometimes.

Having said that, I am guessing it will have to be the game. When I first started playing Galaxies on my ATi 9800 pro I had at that time, I would always crash whenever I used the shuttle, cloned or anything that involved loading screens.

I looked at the crash log and it was clear there was an error in their shoddy programming. I work for a games publisher and tried the game out on different PCs and the game was fine on the lowest spec unit we had! But it had problems with certain ATi cards at that time. I gave up...until 7 months later, there was a hotfix for the problem I told them about...but they kept blaming my PC, hell, they even blamed my ISP!!!!

SOE will tell you to do a full scan, you can try that but most of the things they tell you to do will be a total waste of time. Do you still have the crash logs?

DMUK

Well i did the file scan and that didnt do anything.

Sigh. I might just have to accept that it's screwed. It used to work fine back when i first bought the original version of the game, so i cant think that its really any problem with my computer. I havent got any viruses or anything, my harddrives are defragged and ive got the latest direct x and video card drivers, plus no other game does this. Ill tell you one thing, i certainly wont be resubscribing. Pity, i had some lasting hope for this game. FFS SOE, get your asses together.

• 2 weeks later...

well with a ti4200. You would need to run at very low detail. Turn off shadows completely. Even high end systems have probs in this game with shadows.

I run SWG on several systems, ranging from dual core SLI, to laptop with 64mb video.

You need 1 gig ram, or your system wont keep up and it WILL crash often.

Archived