Home

Mod conflict?

Princess Artemis

So far my only experience in modding is editing .2da files so that I can get mods to work together.

Anyway, I suspect I may have dinked something up in the process. Right now, I can't get the DS beach scene to finish. Mission's dialog won't trigger and the game crashes. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the mods installed. I'm using Holowan Plug-in 2 (without most of the optional mods), T7Nowhere's lightsaber 6 pack, Qui-Gon's lightsaber, Revan's Mask Plus 2.0, Carth's Infiltrator Suit, RedHawke's Mission, Canderous, and Carth Jedi mods (but they weren't used in the game in question), and ctj0202's Carth Romance Fix (however, I didn't have it installed when I first encountered this problem).

I had to edit upcrystals.2da to get two of T7Nowhere's mods to work together.

Anyway, the LS dialogue works fine, but the game crashes on Mission's section of the DS dialogue. Since it has happened twice post-Leviathan (my usual fix for bugs that occur then is to play through the Leviathan again and it usually works), I'm thinking one of the mods might be interfering somehow in getting it to trigger. Anyone have any expert suggestions for a poor newbie? I might be able to do some simple tweaking, but I'm rather lost as to where to start.

I hope this isn't an imposition, or the wrong place to put this.

There are two portions to the mission dialog. One part is unk41_carth.dlg and the other is unk41_mission.dlg.

In unk41_mission, there's a conditional that must be met in order for Mission's dialog to fire (k_punk_evilpc). I don't know that much about scripting, but looking at the script for the conditional, it looks as though a global is checked before the dialog starts. I'd say it's safe to assume that one of the mods that you have installed is messing with this global somehow (assuming that this is where the problem is).

As for unk41_carth, I don't see anything (obvious) that would be the source of a problem.

I hope that helps.

If the global it's looking for is G_FinalChoice, I think that's OK. I may be making an assumption that GetGlobalNumber(0244), 01 means it wants whatever one is 244 to equal 1...if that's the case, and the global in question is G_FinalChoice, then my saves claim to be good on that.

Of course I could be making wild assumptions here. I'll check the mods I have to see if any of them are suddenly making my PC nice when unk41_carth runs (I can't imagine why a lightsaber mod would do that, but stranger things have happened), if I can figure out which, precisely, is global 244, and if anything is poking at that global when it shouldn't.

It did help--at least now I have something to look for!

Princess Artemis, you have the worst luck on that beach ;)

Hmmm.... it looks like the script "k_punk_carrun" fires on the "End Dialogue"s in the DS part of unk41_carth.dlg and launches unk41_mission.dlg. It looks like:

void main() {
DelayCommand(0.5, AssignCommand(GetObjectByTag("invish", 0), ActionStartConversation(GetPCSpeaker(), "unk41_mission", 0, 0, 1, "", "", "", "", "", "")));
ActionUnequipItem( GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTWEAPON, OBJECT_SELF), 0);
ActionJumpToLocation(GetLocation(GetObjectByTag("invis", 0)));
DelayCommand(0.6, DestroyObject(OBJECT_SELF, 0.0, 1, 0.0));
}

But as to what might interfere with that, and what in particular in there might be crashing the game... :confused:

Heh, I know, the beach hates me ; ) At least my beach troubles ferreted out the stupid "But you killed the cat lady, sorry, no love for you" that BioWare left in...

I dunno how to look at scripts that way, but I peeked at it and it's not calling globals or setting anything... I'm beginning to think that it's just my bad luck with everything after the Leviathan. I guess I could try it again. Or I could reinstall the game; it's possible a file got corrupted along the way. I don't think I have any games saved prior to this problem that I could test with, although I could make a copy of one I have near that part that's LS and change G_FinalChoice to 1, see what happens. If it crashes there, I would assume that it's the game because I only had the Holowan Plug-in active at the time and I could go through the whole DS beach scene then.

Edit: I had one close enough to test going through the usual kill Jedi route instead of fiddle with save route, and it worked fine. Added a journal entry after Carth ran off...I've narrowed it down a little in that case. The game crashes before the journal entry gets added, so my problem probably has nothing to do with the Mission dialogue at all. Something is conflicting with the journal entry.

(It better not be Juhani again.)

With the wonderful cjt0202's help, I have figured out the problem. It's not a mod conflict, at least not between mods, it's a conflict in the game. k_punk_carrun can't disarm Carth if he's weilding lightsabers, so the game crashes. Which could cause problems with anyone who had used KSE to Jedi-ify him or is running any Jedi Carth mods and decides to play DSF. I'm pretty sure it would be a problem in a DSM game as well.

Thanks for telling us about that Princess, might be a good thing for us to keep a note of so that next time someone comes in with the same problem you were having we can ask if they have Carth holding a lightsaber or not.

One question about it though, does it still crash if Carth is a jedi but holding guns, vibroblades or nothing in his hands? or is it just when hes holding sabers?

You're welcome.

Anyway, I tested it with Jedi Carth holding two regular 'sabers, a regular and short 'saber, and two swords. It worked fine with the swords. I'll test it with other mods that don't make him a Jedi but let him hold lightsabers, and with other weapons, lots of combos, to see exactly what he can and can't be holding there. I *think* it would be safe for him to hold any weapon he is normally able to hold, but Carth's been a pain in the butt on that beach for me, so I'll test it : ) The only thing I can't easily test is if there would be a problem with a DSM game, but I tried it with and without the romance going, so I think it's a safe bet that it would crash on a DSM game, too.

Further testing on a Jedi Carth makes it clear that it's what's in his off hand that makes a difference. He can hold one lightsaber (double, regular, or short) in his right hand, but he can't hold any 'saber in his left hand. He can hold a 'saber and a sword, but not a sword and a 'saber. Two blasters are fine, as are two swords. I'll test a non-Jedi Carth with items that let him use lightsabers later.

Thanks for doing some more testing, that is an extremely weird bug. I agree it would most likely be the same results if your character was a DSM or Carth wasnt a Jedi but was holding a 'saber in his left hand.. Obviously it must mean Carth is so useless with a 'saber in his left hand he accidently kills the engine just by standing there! Talk about clumsy.

Archived