Home

Finished TSL (LS) now playing DS - comments and questions!(spoilers)

wanderon

WARNING SPOILERS POSSIBLE!!!!

Finished TSL with an overtly goody two shoes Male Guardian/Weapon Master on normal difficulty. Most combat was not overly challenging for this character but I was pleased overall with the campaign/story/gameplay.

Since finishing I have been working on a DS run through. I played a Female Consular up to about level 13-14 but abandoned her when I ran into a one on one battle I could neither win nor seem to avoid if I stayed in character (Dantooine).

I now have a "hardier" Sentinel gal that has just left Atris and will probably go to Dantooine and I am hoping that this time she will prevail.

I wanted to play as "different" a charcter as possible but given what I know about the game after playing through its beginning to seem thats not really possible.

For example is it even possible to win the "important" battles using anything OTHER than a light saber? If not then doesn't pretty much every character need to concentrate primarily on melee feats whether they choose strength based or dex (finesse)? I was thinking a character who did NOT wish to use a Light saber (pouting becuase hers was taken from her) would be a good RP basis for a campaign.

Another thing I noticed was while a consular does seem to get a fairly significant number of powers over a sentinel (at the cost of feats and skills) it does NOT appear that there is ANY benefit to the Sith Lord/Jedi Master classes over Watchman/Assassin unless you consider nerfing your skills and feats a benefit...Progression of skills/feats/powers (slow/slow/fast) vs (average/average/fast)??? Am I missing something here or is the only benefit to playing a Sith Lord or Jedi Master the "kewl name"...

I am also somewhat dissappointed that the DS campaign at least thus far does not seem as "complete" as the LS for lack of a better word. Quests with dual LS/DS options can be completely reversed with a "middle of the road" dialoge choice at times and often the only DS choice seems to be for the psychotic serial killer role.

They get diffrent special powers and so on, Watchman/Assaisn have stealth, Sith lords have some othere, dont remeber what it is, +Sith Lord affect the apperence on the party, if you have good influence with Atton, he is evil, but with Sith Lord he get more evil.

And is that true with Jedi Master as well? That they get different special powers??

And what about the whole lightsaber vs no lightsaber thing?? Is it actually possible to make a competent character that uses blasters and powers to get through the game??

I do know my first attempt at a DS Consular stopped at Dantooine when she could just not beat Vrook - she could barely even get an attack in becuase she had to keep a shield up all the time and he took them down within a round or two - she only had 123 vps and he could take her out in a single round if he got lucky or easily in two unsheilded. I managed to get him down low enough to get Kreias "coaching" cut scene a couple times but never got him below 1/3 of his vps before he killed her - I finally gave it up...:(

I thought she had pretty good stats too- with her equipment she had (14/19/13/14/17/16) at that point weilding a lightsaber (+20attack 6-24dmg) - she had improved force scream and force lightning for offensive poweres but he pretty much always saved against them and even when she got him down to 1/3 or so he would heal back to 80-90% in a single round while she had to stop every other round to put a shield up.

Of course there's a correlation between the attributes, skills, feats, and powers you aquire.

When a counsular, You may not aquire as many feats and your combat prowess may be hindered a bit, but, the trade off is a faster force power progression. Depending on how you've arranged your attributes, this can prove to be more effective than simple saber slashing.

Remember, Charisma is crucial to force powers also. Charisma increases the potency of your powers. So you use less to achieve better results. It allows you to select opposite alignment powers that you may not have chosen otherwise. (It does seem weird for a Jedi master to go around choking people)

But, what the hey? It can be fun.

Also, a high charisma assists in helping your companion's attack capabilities.

I have gone through the game as a bounty hunting pistolero. It was quite challenging at some parts. But, if you are aware of your capabilities and choose wisely at level up, it can be done. Of course, the right weapons, a few upgrades and a workbench will increase your chances of success.

Welcome and good hunting.

Im playing with a Dark female counselor, that only use blasters now. Havent get uf Telos yet, but this far it havent been any problems. And i made it throgh half the game with only unarmed, but then i wanted to start use lightsaber again.

And Vrook is the hardest enemy in the game, i think. except the final boss with three lightsabers. Try to make him stop hunt you, then lay mines, a lot of mines so he run in them.

Well my main question was about the Sith Lord/Jedi Master classes compared to Assasin/Watchman.

I recognize and have actually seen the difference between sentinel and consular (up to about level 13ish) and consular does indeed get a considerable boost in force powers over the sentinel (4 more at level 12 IIRC) and doesn't take too bad a hit on feats either (only 1 less at 12) and takes a more severe hit on skills even with the same int score especially in regards to class/off class - which is more difficult to get around using the class/off class feats since feats come slower as well.

But according to the manual the Sith Lord/Jedi master has a slow/slow/fast progression while the Watchman/Assasin has average/average/fast so its NOT apparent what sort of benefit you might get by taking a consular or sentinel on to Sith Lord/Jedi Master rather than going to Watchman/Assasin from a gameplay standpoint. If your force powers increase at the same level but both your feats and skills increase faster with Watchman/Assasin why take Sith Lord/Jedi Master??

In your pistolero game were you DS or LS and did you not use light sabers/melee at all?? What classes did you choose? How much emphasis did you put on wis/cha and force powers?

In regards to force powers I have heard that wis is not as important as cha and that with a high cha you can get by with only 12 wis- any truth to that??

The few times I went through pistol style, I started out LS. I had more of a Han Solo feel going in, but I was more Boba Fett-ish comming out.

If the game is on easy it really doesn't matter. But on more difficult levels, my saber came out a few times. Dex, Dex, Dex... if you are going to be a ranged player. Defense and attack modifiers are a premium. Strength at least at 12 for saber use in a pinch. I did keep a sweetly modified saber for close encounters.

I really wasn't concerned as much for force powers on those particular runs.

I upgraded various armors and used primarily defensive force powers. There was a time when I was only concerned about credits and XP. I've since matured. I'll still do (almost) anything for XP though, depending on alignment, of course.

For banditos pistoleros, I usually chose guardian. Feat progression is key.

Wis is quite important for a master/Lord. Cha enhances those powers plus all the things I said before. I've gotten by with less than 12 wis.

But, since it's a Jedi game, how much fun is that?

Well I think I've encountered a bug in my latest game (DS Sentinel) -

DANTOOINE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Vrook was not in the cave - we did sort of "pass by" the entrance to that little room and took out the rest of the critters before going back to it and I didn't notice if anyone was there before we passed it by but when we entered it was empty other than the few containers. Our freind Azkul was not waiting outsde when we exited either.

I'm assuming this is a bug and I'll need to reload to get past it??

I don't think I've ever played any CRPGs on easy I pretty much play all my games on normal difficulty or "core rules" for D&D based if its an option - this game seems rather easy even on normal with the exception of some boss fights but I usually won't turn a game up to a higher difficulty unless theres a gameplay benefit to encourage such a move (like more exp/faster leveling) ;)

ahhh I missed that datapad then - tried reloading from before entering the caves and it didn't help - so maybe I can go ahead and retrieve the datapad now even tho I have already cleared the cave...

Edit: Got the datapad - went the DS route and kicked Vrooks fanny (after a reload or two ;))

Managed to get to Sentinel 15 Assasin 1 before the Dantooine battle. Now we are off to Nar Shadaa...

Nar Shadaa spoilers ahead!!

Well my DS gal (Marie Laveaux ;)) is kickin' butt and taking names on Nar Shadaa. The exchange thugs fell like flies as she screamed at them offering pretty much no challenge at all - I'm guessing this is becuase the foes don't scale according to party size/level perhaps??

The slavers were a little more challenging and they did manage to take out Atton and Kreia but the reason for that was probably becuase Marie was totally ignoring her party as she opened can after can of whoopa$$ with her faithful companion Master Flurry. She made a deal with slavers at the end and it will be interesting to see how that works out (please post no unmarked spoilers about that!!).

I got a single cut scene with Atton talking to Bao-doh about how he was hot for Marie but when she tries to speak to him she only gets his rants about her appearance and offers to play Pazzack - is he ever going to make a move on her? I recall reading somewhere that the romances in the game leave something to be desired.

I hated Nar Shadaa as LS because Atton was so damned weak, but I found a way to get the twin suns from attacking me, I used the bar thing that you get the juma juice from.

So you hid behind the bar so they could not get to you? I may need to try that...:o

My LS Atton had some troubles with that battle as well altho it only took one reload to work out but poor enemy pathfinding did indeed play a part as when he ran across the room to try to get some space one of the twins got "stuck" and just sort of stood there while he took care of the other one. Even then he barely beat them and used up most of our melee shields in the process.

I made a quick attempt at that battle last night with my DS Atton and he fell quickly and I was too tired to try it over so I left it for my first project for today...;)

I decided to play all my followers in this DS run as the devs "planned" them using the auto-level as a means to allow them to make their own choices and not be influenced by me but I can't say I'm pleased with the results but I guess thats another way to add a little additional "challenge" to the game as well...:D

I was not able to get any conversation options to make Atton a Jedi with my DS character yet - I did get one with the disciple but he refused. I don't recall if I got Atton to become a Jedi in my LS campaign or not but if I did it was after Nar Shadaa I think.

Edit:

I didn't get time to play on this game today becuase I started a consular for my "no lightsabers" game but I fired it up long enough to try that hide behind the bar trick with Atton...that is truly the "cheese"...the twins just stand out there until he kills them...:D

wanderon, once again please do not Double Post, if you have the last post in a thread and wish to add something please use the 'edit this' post feature, and add your new additions to your previous post, thanks. ;) -RH

Archived