Home

Lost ICQ & other stuff...

Guest AceAzzameen

Guest AceAzzameen

What a sh***y week I've had. I tried installing Win2k last Wed/Thur and it ran ok for a few days. But a lot of games weren't working, and then I was getting crashes on games that were working. So I decide it's time to switch back to WinME. And I had no real trouble until I install ICQ, which is the program I use the most. And of course, for some reason Win2k had changed my DB files so they weren't compatible with ME anymore. mad.gif I've lost my list, and a good year of history or more. Anyways, just expressing my frustration at MS for making such stupid OS's and for ICQ for screwing up even though I did everything I'm supposed to do for a backup of my contact list.

Oh, and those of you who have me on their list, please drop me a message? I can't even find a list of people's numbers or e-mail addresses.

------------------

"With the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?"

Rogue Leader 3

aceazzameen@yahoo.com

or manofstele@yahoo.com

Oh the joys of upgrading an OS. When I went to ME from 98se it crashed HARD during installation! I tried to get 98 back again with no luck. I spent 7 hours on the phone with MS tech support one day until they gave up and called it a hopeless cause. I was without my system for most of a week, existing in a DOS and Safe Mode hell until I managed to get 98 working well enough again to be sure that I had backed up everything onto CDs, and then I flushed the drive and reinstalled EVERYTHING! Fun fun. Things are stable now, but you can be sure I'm gonna wait until XP is out a good long time, has proven itself, and the major bugs are worked out before I would EVER attempt that again. My advice: If things are working good for you right now, for sanity's sake LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! wink.gif

------------------

"That's the last time I trust the strangest people on Earth!" - Homer

[This message has been edited by edlib (edited April 05, 2001).]

Guest AceAzzameen

I gotcha, Rabbit.

I feel your pain edlib. I always do a frest format before installing an OS. That is a much more problem-free solution. Luckily on the network, I can backup files on a friend's computer & then bring them all back in relatively no time. The only thing I lost was ICQ. But of course the kicker is, that's the one thing that's irreplaceable, all of the message history and stuff. frown.gif

------------------

Rogue Leader 3

aceazzameen@yahoo.com

or manofstele@yahoo.com

Yeah, I know better now, and I'll be FAR more careful in the future. The thing I forgot to backup? : All my XWA, RS, and XVT pilots. Had to fly EVERY mission again from the start! OWCH! wink.gif Oh well...

------------------

Guest Jabba The Hunt

ME rocks it great aslong as you get it later - where as 2K having NT componets built in is really only for networks althought they tried to sell it as a full operating system even for the home user!!!

------------------

iM. diSleXIc. sO. pLeaSE. tRanSlaTe. AnY oF tHe mmistypes/SpElLinGs

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

Well that's what XP will be: A home user version of 2000. Kind of a hybrid of ME and the NT/ 2K kernel. Stable, but fun to use. I'm looking forward to it. No DOS anymore though. A lot of games go "Bye-Bye!" unfortunately. I'm not gonna mourn DOS's demise otherwise.

------------------

Guest AceAzzameen

Conor, dammit, are you a beta tester? wink.gif

Sorry, Edlib. I learned that a looong time ago. The one thing that made me mad years ago was when I copied my XvT pilot, but didn't know they kept a separate pilot in the BoP directory just for those BoP mission! mad.gif

Oh my goodness... I can't believe I'm saying this but... I agree with Jabba. eek.gif It's not just MS, it's other people touting Win2k's horn, telling me how all my games would still work if I just got DirectX, yadda yadda. Liars, all of them! mad.gif

And yes, Ike. When I just put the DB folder in like normal, I got an ICQ crash, and it wouldn't save my user. Each time I started I had to put in my # again, and then it would crash as ICQ started. When I did DB Convert, the DB program crashed, and then ICQ later crashed, although it did save my contact list. But everytime I ran ICQ, it crashed, so that didn't work out so well.

------------------

Rogue Leader 3

aceazzameen@yahoo.com

or manofstele@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by AceAzzameen (edited April 05, 2001).]

Guest Conor

Sorry, I'm afraid I *cough* came into it rather less legitimately.

My system was basically dying (3 year old corrupt win98 that took like 7 minutes to load) and I needed to overhaul my PC. A friend of mine offered...I get kick ass fast stable neato OS. I have only had it for two days, but let's just say I am not in the least disappointed. biggrin.gif

The best bonus was that my cable connection got literally 10 times as fast. smile.gif

Guest Zoom Rabbit

XvT files, yes...

When my computer crashed, I went from officer first class all the way back down to trainee overnight!

Usually, there's alcohol involved in a demotion like that! biggrin.gif

Guest Rogue 9

I don't get it until June, hows it run?

Originally posted by Conor:

As far as I am concerned, XP rocks.

I should know. Heh heh <font size="1">heh heh...</font>

"The best bonus was that my cable connection got literally 10 times as fast. smile.gif"

I noticed a HUGE increase in cable modem speed once I got ME to work! 98 just wasn't designed with high-speed internet in mind. I hope XP is even faster than ME is! biggrin.gif

Wheeee!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by edlib (edited April 05, 2001).]

Guest Rogue 9

I think I'll just go dig up the Beta of XP and start running it, I should have it in a week or so if anyone wants to ask about it then

Originally posted by Rogue 9:

and Windows ME sux

No worse than 95 or 98 did when they first hit. It's a LOT more stable on my system that the 98se that came installed. At least 3 months without a single BSOD or system stopping crash! The restore feature's pretty handy too for when things do get weird. I seem to be the minority, but I like it better than 98. I'll still upgrade to XP when it comes around though...

------------------

Guest Conor

So far I have had very few problems.

A couple of my games don't work, but there are bound to be incompatibilities.

Otherwise, everything runs really efficiently.

Archived