Home

Star Wars related topic ! Enter at your own risk !

Guest Fondas

Guest Fondas

Since yesterday, I'm the proud owner of Timothy Zahn's famous trilogy !!! biggrin.gif

At last !

Here in Greece is really tough to find SW novels. There are only 2 bookstores in Athens where you can find such books. I placed my order with one of them almost two years ago and I'm still waiting !!!

Enough is enough, some days ago, I ordered the Empire trilogy and the "Krytos Trap" from the Amazon.co.uk and yesterday I received a nice little packet ! wink.gif

What I'd like you to do is to rate the books of the trilogy and the trilogy as a whole.

------------------

"No matter how pretty the bait,

a hook is still a hook !"

TZG+7

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read them quite a while ago, so it's hard to rate them apart, but I'd give the whole trilogy a 8 1/2 on a scale from 1 to 10. I think they're excellent books, even for non SW fans.

I recently discovered that the X-wing series is sold in a bookstore in Rotterdam. Finally I get to read them. smile.gif I've just finished the first one and is really great.

Guest Fondas

I've read the first two, Rogue Squadron and Wedge's Gamble. As I said earlier, I just got the third one, Krytos Trap. The last one (by Stackpole) is The Bacta War, wich was unavailable even at Amazon...

Anyway, "Rogue Squadron " is a great book , packed with space dogfights , twists and turns in the plot. It was like playing "X-Wing" again !!! wink.gif

Guest Rogue 9

the X-wing series is great so is Zahn's Trilogy once you finish it make sure to get the thrawn Duology biggrin.gif

Guest Coffeebean_uk

I dont really like his books much, But jabba is always ranting on about them.

------------------

No friend have I like thee to trust,

For mortal helps are brittle dust.

Zahn's books are excellent reading. I'd give the trilogy a 9 1/2.

X-wing books kick ass!!! Good Lord, that's where my sn came from. READ THEM!!! You won't regret it.

------------------

Love people. Use things. Not vice versa.

XWA's Resident Finance Manager

Guest Rogue 9

I didn't even see your name before I registered, so in a sense both my decision to use that name and the name it self were Original. biggrin.gif

Guest Rune Haako

No one can replace the original Niner.

------------------

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he gets hit by a nuclear sub.

Zahn's is by FAR the best of the Star Wars novels. Do yourself a favor, and read them very, very slowly in order to make them last as long as possible smile.gif Out of the three, I'd have to say Dark Force Rising was my favorite, followed closely by Heir to the Empire. That's a hard call to make, though - they are all great.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I stay away from the Star Wars books, for no credible reason. I watch the movies and play in the games, but that's it...

I will mention that the books don't sound as silly as the whole 'card game' thing did. rolleyes.gif

<font color=red>Free Tibet!</font> 'Vive la resistance!'

Guest Fondas

Here comes another hard question :

X-Wing book series 1-4 are written by Stackpole, an author who can deliver what he promises. Should I get the rest from Aaron Allston ? is he as good as Stackpole is ?

I'd also like you to reccomend me which are the best books to read, <u>after</u> the Empire Trilogy by Zahn. I'm interested in some time continuity ,either in between of the original SW trilogy, or after the Empire's events

1: I also would like to know that, Fondas.

2: There's "The truce at Bakura" (right after Endor), "The courtship of princess Leia" (some time after that), "The Jedi Academy" trilogy (after Zahn's one) and "The Corellian trilogy" (after the Jedi academy).

"Darksaber" (I still have to read that one), "The cristal star" and "Children of the Jedi" take place after Endor but I can't really place them.

I liked "The courtship..." and "The Corellian trilogy" the most. The rest are ok, except for "Children of the Jedi". That one sucks, so try to avoid it. smile.gif

I know absolutely nothing about the "New Jedi Order" series, so I can't give you an opinion on those.

Guest Rogue 9

the rest of the authors that finished off the X-Wing Series were good and they followed Stackpoles groundwork nicely, after your through with those read the Thrawn Duology also by Zahn, you'll like it. smile.gif

Originally posted by Fondas:

X-Wing book series 1-4 are written by Stackpole, an author who can deliver what he promises. Should I get the rest from Aaron Allston ? is he as good as Stackpole is ?

Yeah, Allston's just as good as Stackpole, IMHO. He gets away with it by introducing a whole new nest of characters so as not to step on Stackpole's toes.

My personal fave is Lieutenant Kettch. wink.gif

I'd also like you to reccomend me which are the best books to read, <u>after</u> the Empire Trilogy by Zahn. I'm interested in some time continuity ,either in between of the original SW trilogy, or after the Empire's events

After RotJ (in order): Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand comic series (concurrent to/immediately after RotJ), Truce at Bakura (Imediately after RotJ), Dark Forces: Rebel Agent graphic novel, X-Wing: Rogue Squadron comics, X-Wing novels, Courtship of Princess Leia (four years after RotJ), Dark Forces: Jedi Knight graphic novel, Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire comics, DE II comics, Empire's End comics, Crimson Empire comics, CE II comics, Jedi Academy Trilogy/I, Jedi (concurrent), Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, Planet of Twilight, The Crystal Star, Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy, The New Rebellion, Corellian Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, Unions comics, Junior Jedi Knights childrens' books, Young Jedi Knights young-adult books, NJO. . .

Some are better than others, of course.

Please forgive my ommitance of certain less-required books (the numerous Boba Fett comics, the Tales books, and the last two Allston X-Wing books that are concurrent to other works).

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

[This message has been edited by Flying Beastie (edited May 09, 2001).]

Guest Rogue 9

Also I like the NJO Series and think it is part of Lucasfilms plot to create a new set of Star Wars movies that are after the originals, but do not involve the old main characters biggrin.gif, especially the whiny ones.

Guest Rogue 9

the last two Allston X-Wing books that are concurrent to other works).

I thought the series ended after Adumar, now I need to buy the next ones biggrin.gif

You can see the differences in the two authors' writing styles right away. I think I like Allston a tad bit more than Stackpole because of the hilarity that runs rampant in his Wraith Squadron books. Definitely some of the best SW reading I've ever seen.

I don't think they ever really ended the X-wing series. It's just that no one's written anything recently.

Okay, new topic. Anyone read Michael Reaves new book, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter? That was one of the best ever pieces of reading I've read. A little on the dark and sad end, but excellent nevertheless.

------------------

Love people. Use things. Not vice versa.

XWA's Resident Finance Manager

Archived