Home

Ship Classes

Master Leffe

It's not too hard.

You'll need an extractor to get to the XML files in the Config.meg file, of course.

STEP 1:

You'll need to know the "unit name" of the ship you're dealing with. For instance, the only large ship that I know of that doesn't already get named is a modded-in Venator. In the mod that I'm using, the Rebel Venator is "Jedi_Cruiser_R", and the Imperial one is "Jedi_Cruiser_E". Look in the proper ship XML file for your ship's <<SpaceUnit Name=> line, if you don't know it.

STEP 2:

The first change you'll need to make is to create a .TXT file in ".../GameData/Data" that is named after your ship ( Jedi_Cruiser_E.txt ) and contains all of the names you want to randomize from. You can name it anything, really, but naming it after the ship is sensible and organized.

You'll see all the other ship name files there, such as Corellian_Corvette.txt, so just look at those for an example of what the file should look like.

If you aren't feeling very creative, you can just copy and rename one of those existing files, but be aware that if you do, you might end up with a fleet containing two ships with the same name. ^_^

STEP 3:

If you don't already have a folder called ".../GameData/Data/XML", then make one, and place a copy of GAMECONSTANTS.XML in it.

Search that XML for <ShipNameTextFiles> . You'll see the list of ship classes in the game (listed by unit name), and the text file associated with it.

Make a new entry for your ship class.

Be sure you get the commas right. look at the other lines to be sure. Each line ends in a comma except the very last line in the set.

That's all there is to it. Sounds harder than it is.

Now, go think up some really cool ship names! ^_^

No problem Leffe. I figured out how to do it by accident, and remembered seeing your question here.

Mandead, boxes like that usually mean that something is trying to print symbols that don't exist in the typefont. I have NO idea why your ship names would be doing that to you.

I tested this method myself before posting, so it worked fine for me.

Try renaming one of the existing ship name TXT files, just to see if you still have the same problem. If you don't then it's something about how you're typing up your list of names.

You aren't saving it from Word with formatting, or something, are you?

<!-- Files for custom ship names -->

<ShipNameTextFiles>

Calamari_Cruiser, Data\Calamari_Cruiser.txt,

MC80_Calamari_Cruiser, Data\Calamari_MC80.txt,

Generic_Star_Destroyer, Data\Star_Destroyer.txt,

Star_Destroyer, Data\Star_Destroyer.txt,

Star_Destroyer_Tractor_Fighters, Data\Star_Destroyer.txt,

Corellian_Corvette, Data\Corellian_Corvette.txt,

Corellian_Gunboat, Data\Corellian_Gunboat.txt,

Broadside_Class_Cruiser, Data\Broadside_Class_Cruiser.txt,

Marauder_Missile_Cruiser, Data\Marauder_Missile_Cruiser.txt,

Nebulon_B_Frigate, Data\Nebulon_B_Frigate.txt,

Alliance_Assault_Frigate, Data\Alliance_Assault_Frigate.txt,

Victory_Destroyer_No_Fighters, Data\Victory_Destroyer.txt,

Victory_Destroyer, Data\Victory_Destroyer.txt,

Acclamator_Assault_Ship, Data\Acclamator_Assault_Ship.txt,

Interdictor_Cruiser, Data\Interdictor_Cruiser.txt,

Tartan_Patrol_Cruiser, Data\Tartan_Patrol_Cruiser.txt,

Action IV Transport, Data\Pirate_Frigate.txt,

Shadowclaw, Data\Shadowclaw.txt,

Jedi_Cruiser_E, Data\Jedi_Cruiser_E.txt,

Jedi_Cruiser_R, Data\Jedi_Cruiser_R.txt

</ShipNameTextFiles>

That's from GAMECONSTANTS.XML

I can't see the problem being with the .TXT files...

Odd. Works fine for me. :p

Here, this file includes the edited GAMECONSTANTS.XML and two txt files of Venator names.

There are as many names as the official ships have (18), but the Rebel and Imperial lists share the same names. They are, however, reversed, so you won't run into ships with the same name unless you have a lot of them. (The game doesn't pick randomly, it starts at the top and goes down the list.)

I chose names that sounded "Old Republic" to me, but just use it as an example, if you want.

NOTE: This will only work if you're using a mod that has Venators named "Jedi_Cruiser_R" and "Jedi_Cruiser_E".

http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/SW/VenatorNames.zip

Let's keep this straight...

If you want to change "Star Destroyer" to a "Super Star Destroyer", or a "TIE Fighter" to a "TIE Defender", or something like that, then you have to edit the .DAT file. (As far as I know.)

If you want to change ships that show up as a generic class, such as "Venator Class", to a unique, individual ship name, like "Aegis", "Stalwart", "Bonnie Mae" (heheh), then you do it the way I said.

And, there's no reason in the world why those files I posted would't work, PROVIDED you're trying to give names to Venators, and only Venators, and they're called "Jedi_Cruiser_R" and "Jedi_Cruiser_E" in your files. Otherwise they can only be used as examples.

If you search the XML for my name, "Rhedd", you'll find every line I've edited, since I make a notation on every edit.

Oh... and you DO realize that individual ship names only show up in "Space mode" combat, not in "Galactic mode", right?

Archived