Home

An actual Step-by-Step for creating Hero Units?

HumbleSage

Hello. I am recently new to this forum and have been sifting through it looking for a way to create hero units. While most of the information here I find is very useful (i.e. the "Adding New Heros?" posted by Bob Lion54), much of it assumes you know certains "things".

I was hoping maybe could provide a bit more in-depth detail about *exactly* how to create a new unique or hero unit and please use an example, say an X-Wing or an A-Wing. Including any/all the files edited. I know that at this point we aren't sure about editing the icons and such but with just XML modifications you can create new units in the game. Something I can't seem to get working.

My goal is to create another squadron at some point from what I learn from this thread like a Blue squadron or something along those lines. Thanks in advance. :)

If you could describe this in detail how you exactly did this and include a list of all the files you touched that would be a great start Bob.

If I/we figure it out, I can make a quick unit creation guide. I am sure that if I can get a regular unit working I'll be able to figure out the hero units. This way I can write a step-by-step for people.

Okay... I have a very VERY sketchy idea for making a space hero unit. Then you just have to choose what you want to put inside the ship. Should be easy, but I dont' know if it works.

Go into UNIQUEUNITS.XML, and change the ships at the bottom of the list (down there is Virago and Moldy Crow) however you want. They're pretty much normal ships, so I won't explain much. So you mess with the ship however you want, then you go to the HEROCOMPANIES.XML and take the Katarn_Team (or whoever you want) and copy them and put them in the list for that faction (I added the Virago to the Pirates, so I made a new section). Rename the team to something that fits what it is (I set it to Virago_Team). Mess with the files however you want, make sure the unit is set to the correct Affiliation, and then go to the CAMPAINGS_SINGLEPLAYER.XML and find whichever conquest map you want to edit, and put in this:

<Starting_Forces> The Faction, The Planet, Your_Team </Starting_Forces>

This will make them appear, and they will act like a normal hero. This is what I did to make Virago useable.

If this doesn't work, let me know. I think it should work, though.

This doesn't *exactly* work. This will get Kyle Katarn into the scenario, but he's piloting an alliance shuttle. I am guessing you change the:

<Company_Transport_Unit>Alliance_Shuttle</Company_Transport_Unit>

- to -

<Company_Transport_Unit>Virago</Company_Transport_Unit>

- or -

<Company_Transport_Unit>Moldy_Crow</Company_Transport_Unit>

I tried this already but it doesn't work and the hero doesn't show up at all. ideas? anyone? Thanks for the input thus far. :)

Archived