Home

3D card probs

Taarkin

Sorry if this posts twice(or more)...

Today I finally installed a Diamond Monster 3D II from my old computer because it's a whole 8mb better than my current 8mb ATI Rage. I did the same thing I did earlier: shoved the card into the white slot, plugged the new card into the old one, plugged it into the monitor, installed drivers. Now my computer is f00ked. Almost nothing opens when double-clicked upon, and I can't even get all the stuff fro mmy control pannel. What do I do?

------------------

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

Ugh. Sounds like trouble.

Did you fully uninstall the previous vid card drivers first? I mean going into the registry and deleting every reference to the old card as well as all the obvious files. I know this is generally the way to go.

There is a lot of info at sites like http://www.tweak3d.net on stuff like this, you may want to go there and see if there are any tips on these cards on there.

Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you.

Guest Rogue 9

before installing new hardware I recommend a Complete Format and reinstall of all software on a system...of course I get paid more to do that than tojust install a card, anyway do make sure you've got the old drivers removed, edlib being a little drastic ATI's rarely need anything that exstensive. try installing the newest version of Directx and make sure your card is compatible with the slot in your computer, be it AGP or PCI there are several different versions and standards used. also make sure you have the newest drivers and if it is AGP try turning the Apeture size down... biggrin.gif also take two Asprin and Call a doctor in the morning

Actually, I didn't delete the old drivers. I didn't do it on my old computer and it worked just fine. Nevertheless I'm trying to FIND the old drivers but I can't find them! There was an ATI folder, but it was empty except for another folder with some setup stuff in it.

------------------

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

[This message has been edited by Taarkin (edited July 12, 2001).]

Hmmm... On the old computer were you switching between these same 2 cards, or upgrading cards of the same brand?

I know on my old computer when I upgraded to a Stealth III 32MB PCI card (kind of a lousy card, but cheap!) from a standard VGA and there was no steps other than what you described; pull the old one, slap in the new one, and install the drivers.

But from what I understand (and trust me, I'm no expert on the subject) switching between different brands of 3D cards is a bit more involved. In fact I have had to occasionally do some pretty complex steps just to upgrade drivers on the same Nvidia card (for the record a Nvidia GeForce 256 64MB DDR, a pretty nice card for it's day, but that will be gone as soon as the GF3s come down a bit in price!)

Like 9 said, perhaps a full format and reinstall with the new card in the slot is the way to go,... but it's a real pain in the a**.

I don't know anything about the ATI cards, but I thought the full driver cleanout was standard operating procedure when changing cards. Sorry if I gave any wrong info. Like I said I don't really know that much about different brands of vid cards.

The old computer was just some crummy old VGA thing replaced by the Diamond.

One problem might be that I plugged the Daimond into the ATI. I figgured I was supposed to do this because I did it to the VGA one from the days of yore.

Taarkin are you talking about the VooDoo card I gave ya? If so your problem might be that the Diamond card is a 3D card only. Let me rephrase that.

the old Diamond Voodoo card would add 3D graphics to 2D cards so it might not work if your ATI is all ready a 2D/3D card.

Don't qoute me on that though. smile.gif

Ya it's the one you gave me, Gun-Man.

SERIOUS problem, dudes. Now Windows simply dosen't start. It just goes to the wallpaper and plays the startup music, then nuthin'. No icons, no start button, just a background and a cursor(that moves, but dosen't do anything else). Nothing is running in the background when I ctr+alt+del. I'm postig this from my grandparents' comp. I'm gonna call a friend to see if he can fix it on sunday, but MAN this sucks...

------------------

Official forum Psychic

Guest Rogue 9

you touched the registry didn't you...

[This message has been edited by Rogue 9 (edited July 14, 2001).]

Safe mode is usually the F8 key right at bootup.

I hope you have everything backed up, cuz it sounds like time for a reformat I'm afraid.

I hope for you it doesn't come to that, but...

Good luck buddy. I feel for you.

Ok, I had to re-install WinME. But the previous problems still persist...I think the setup process detected the new card, but when I tried to fiddle with it from the Dispay setting fro mthe Control Pannel, it says it's not detected.

------------------

Official forum Psychic

Guest Hans The Great

I had the same card and I moved it to a new machine 3 times with no problems. I've used the Diamond Stealth, Monster Fusion, Voodoo 3 and now the Geoforce2 cards, on the same PC with no problems.

Here is how I did it: First off, change your PC's display setting to Standard VGA (Safe Mode is not necessary), delete the old card drivers with its own uninstall program before trying to manually delete all those files. Shut the computer down, then install the new card. Reboot the PC, then if the card comes with its own driver installation program, use it to install the driver files. Otherwise, let Windows detect and install the new drivers.

You always have to set the display back down to Standard VGA when messing with these cards. Not doing this can cause alot of problems. Also be careful when installing the video card, use a static wrist guard and be gentle with it.

I hope that helps.

Archived