Home

Single-blade Fighting in kotor 3

XI33

I think there definitely should be better sabre balancing. Perhaps something like this:

1. Short - limited to one handed use only, speed bonus/power penalty.

2. Single - two handed use, average all round/No penalties.

3. Dual Short - massive speed bonus/average power/defence penalty.

4. Double bladed - massive power bonus/minute speed bonus/large defence penalty.

Just some of my rough ideas. Polished up, I think they would add a whole new element to lightsabre design, and you could gather the required parts to decrease the penalties.

• 1 month later...

I like single saber for historical purposes: that's how they used it in Star Wars. However, I dislike the way everybody is constantly out of position when using it (both movies and games). If you think about your single saber as being both your offense and defense, it only makes sense that you have to keep it out in front of you at all times. You cannot block a shot from your opponent if you are swinging your saber above your head or off to the side.

In my opinion, based on my experience with medieval armored combat, the best way to use a single saber is to treat it as a bastard sword. You hold it vertically, tipped forward slightly, about waist high, with both hands about six inches apart. The higher hand acts as a fulcrum, while the lower hand moves the pommel. It only takes a small, quick snap of the lower hand to make the tip of the blade move very quickly. In fact, this is the fastest weapon used in our combat.

Using two sabers would give you the opportunity to attack with both (which is very effective), or defend with one and attack with the other, or even defend with both (though why you would want to is beyond me). I don't like the idea of using a regular light saber with one hand. I know it is light enough (pun intended :) ), but it is too long. Using only one hand to swing a long sword is not as fast as using two hands. I think that you should be restricted to using short sabers if you go with two.

The double saber is the best system for defending yourself because you can cover your legs without lowering your saber. The shot selection is a little more limited with it because you have to avoid injuring yourself with the back end of the weapon.

Here is how I would design the three melee/saber weapon systems used in KOTOR:

Single Saber Moderate attack, moderate damage, moderate defense

Two Sabers Highest attack, lowest damage per saber, moderate defense

Double Saber Lowest attack, highest damage, highest defense

I love Star Wars, and I love how cool the light saber duels look, but I really have to work hard to suspend my disbelief when watching them. I can't help but think, "I could take him!" :lsduel:

The kotor games in my opinion are about the story and about the characters. The moves and graphics are secondary. In no way am I complaining about the graphics though. With the saber fighting it would be interesting to see a little more anikan/yoda style, faster, fancier and varying ranges of power. Single style is(and even though I like it the best) less effective than the double bladed, period. It wouldn't be accurate to make double and single equal. It is the same thing with the character classes. The game warns you that the consular is for advanced players. same thing.

But the thing is, the consular is not for advanced players. He is just as easy as every class. And when making, classes/options... do they really have to determine the difficulty? Like you either pick the class:

Jedi -average powers

Jedi Knight - mighty powers

Jedi MAster - mind blowing powers

Jedi would be for the "advanced" players...

Single, duald and staff have to be equally strong. They should have different strengths and weaknesses tho.

Adding 1 damage to every rank of Dueling would be a good idea in my opinion (you should hit harder using two hands with one saber). You would still do much more damage with duel sabers. Also, the Weapon Master line should have a Dueling equivalent to the two-handed Weapon fighting line.

In the end, Single saber would still have a less damage than duel sabers (although not as big of difference as it does now), but still retain the small defence/accuracy bonus'.

Archived