Home

Gunner bots and a few other bot things

Can we please get rid of those annoying gunner-only bots?! They basically amount to saber fodder unless they have a repeater or rocket launcher and they take up slots that could be used for more saberist bots of (now) different styles.

For anyone who wants to fight gunner bots, just back up and fight them from a slight distance. Just about everyone who plays OJP anyways plays for the saber combat anyways, so I do think these gunner-only bots will be missed too badly.

Also, I've notice that the ratio for staff and dual bots to single saber bots seems almost 1 to 1. Since staff and dual aren't as well balanced as the single sabers, I would also recommend that the ratio be more like 1 to 3 favoring the single sabers if possible.

Lastly, it would be nice to see Tabbots kick once in a while. Is it possible to have them attempt to kick for maybe 33% of whenever they sense you have been slow bounced?

I could make them kick, but then they would probably suck at hitting players while they're on the ground. I'll look into it when I have the time.

As for the gun-only bots, they're caused by having bot files where they have no weapon priority for lightsabers.

I think the game randomly selects the bots from the bot file collection randomly, and it just happens to have a lot of bots with staff/dual sabers.

I could make them kick, but then they would probably suck at hitting players while they're on the ground. I'll look into it when I have the time.

Maybe if they Lunge when ever they sense a knock down, they would suck less. It might work if it can be coded. Man, if you do this, your bots will truly be the marvel of the JKA community... well, as if they werent already!

I think the game randomly selects the bots from the bot file collection randomly, and it just happens to have a lot of bots with staff/dual sabers.

So does that mean it can't be changed?

I think gunner bots are necessary, especially for Siege! The trouble with not letting them use guns is that they tend not to use force powers. So the saber bots suck, all they do is spam katas...

What we need are bots that use all the tools at their disposal. And having some that use guns+force rather than sabers+force and some that use all at their disposal is a good thing, as it accurately aproximates the playing styles of real players. Not everyone is an honorz d00d who only uses sabers, after all, and in some gametypes you need good gunners for it to be any fun or challenge at all...

I think gunner bots are necessary, especially for Siege! The trouble with not letting them use guns is that they tend not to use force powers. So the saber bots suck, all they do is spam katas...

Actually, this thread is refering to Enhanced. In Enhanced, their pretty much useless, annoying, and take up space that challenge accepting Tabbot could have. No one really plays Enhanced to have gun wars at the moment, and Seige isn't even in the code server map rotation. There are also no Katas to spam in Enhanced as you might remember, and bots with sabers still use guns at longer range anyways.

Ah too true, too true. There's been so much talk about Enhanced lately, I guess I was just anxious to comment on something in OJP! The bots still need a lot of work in Basic as well, that goes without saying. My apologies for clogging up this thread with off-topic comments!

Ah too true, too true. There's been so much talk about Enhanced lately, I guess I was just anxious to comment on something in OJP! The bots still need a lot of work in Basic as well, that goes without saying. My apologies for clogging up this thread with off-topic comments!

ENHANCED IS OJP!!! LOL! Yeah, I know. Unfortunately for the Basic crowd, the Enhanced community has outgrown the Basic community at least on these forums, so unless it says basic in the thread discription, too many of us might assume you talking about Enhanced. I often do that myself when I first glance at a thread. I have bothered with anything that has to do with base saber combat in almost a year, so its becoming automatic for me.

I don't know how long its been since you last played OJP Enhanced, but you should give it a shot. It's gotten alot more unforgiving since 0.0.8 especially on the code server, and just about all of the problems your include# pal pointed out are either fixed or modified.

Archived