Home

IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK?!

Guest Rune Haako

Originally posted by Darth Sceltor:

Most cartoons now are crap.

As I once commented to a friend; "our" generation (i.e., my generation, who grew up in the 80s) had the coolest cartoons.

Y'see, back then cartoons looked for viewers with attention spans. None of this "reinventing the show from the ground up every season" crap that kids' shows have now.

That said however, there are a few good shows on the air today.

Season 3 of Digimon actually looks like its taking an interesting approach to reinventing itself; it takes place in a completely alternate universe to the first two series. It's not so much a continuation as it is a new show that's based on Digimon. Medabots also looks cool, but since it's just starting out, it could end up taking a nosedive in quality. Sailor Moon was cool until it got edited for North American audiences and retconned to make it more modern (changing all the dates from 1996 to 2001 tongue.gif ). Beast Machines was cool while it lasted, and apparently Reboot is coming back in TV movie form. Powerpuff Girls is also cool and funny. Freakazoid and The Batman/Superman Adventures would be awesome, but I can't get them on Canadian cable ( mad.gif ).

And now we have access to cartoons that focus on older viewers, like teenagers, like the Gundam multiverse and Batman Beyond.

There's also an animated Buffy the Vampire Slayer series in the works. And who isn't looking forward to Transformers: Robots in Disguise this Saturday? biggrin.gif

On the definite bright side, there is now far more access to animé than there was when I had to go to the video store to rent Robotech eps.

And this isn't even counting all the awesome shows that died after one (or two) season(s), like Godzilla, Invasion America, Roswell Conspiracies. . .

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

Guest Hans The Great

He-Man was a terrible cartoon, just an excuse to sell cheaply made toys like Poke/Digidung. The He-Man movie was as bad as the first Power Rangers movie, sadly I have seen both and they are painful to watch.

I did like Rusty and Big Guy, I think the same people made the Men In Black cartoon which was also pretty good.

I was amazed by how good the new Batman/Superman cartoons are. Somebody must have been paying attention when they made those. For those of you who can get Cartoon Network: I heard that they are going to show "Cowboy Beebop" soon. This is one of the BEST animated series to come out recently.

[This message has been edited by Hans The Great (edited September 04, 2001).]

Originally posted by Hans The Great:

He-Man was a terrible cartoon, just an excuse to sell cheaply made toys like Poke/Digidung.

You mean just like every cartoon made after 1975? Were you even paying attention to the 1980s? EVERY cartoon was a 30 minute toy commercial. If you believe GI Joe and Transformers weren't designed to sell toys...

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

I thought Invasion America was a miniseries. I remember there only being like five episodes.

Much more than that; more like thirteen or more.

There's an episode list online somewhere, but I'm too lazy to go hunting right now.

The last episode ended with the caption "End of Book I," which was really cool. It was one of those stories with no denouement; there was a climactic battle, a brief round of congratulations, and then the credits rolled.

I'd've liked to see how the shuttle got back to Earth with a fairly inexperienced crew (two teenagers, two FBI agents, and one aged alien), and David's first real meeting with his father, and David tracking down Sonia (while Sonia hunts down Simon).

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

Guest Hans The Great

Yeah Keyan, I know. I was a big fan of Starblazers and other imports like Gai King and Grandizer (hey, no wonder I like Anime). I also liked Sealab 2025 and the old Johnny Quest show.

I did'nt even know there were toys tied to these shows until long after they stopped showing them on TV, they had their own entertainment value. G.I. Joe, Transformers, and He-Man were very unimaginative, very preachy and boring. But you really can't blame the shows' producers, if kids will watch Digicrap then they'll watch anything.

Archived