Home

Yo Transfans! (REVIEW: Robots in Disguise)

Flying Beastie

The new series premiered at 8:00 this mornin' on Fox Kids (yes, I'm enough of a fanboy to get up early for cartoons; deal with it).

The animation was leet, as was the dubbing (it didn't have the odd pauses & expressions that you get in most animé dubs). But there were a few problems:

What I didn't like:

-Optimus & Megatron's voices. IIRC, the original voice-actors are still breathin' and it would've been unspeakably cool to hear Optimus' mid-west twangy rumble again, rather than the synth-backed actor they have now.

-What's with the sound effects? Since when do Transformers have servo-whines?

-I get the feeling Fox sliced'n'diced to get a full-hour series premiere into a half-hour timeslot. There's a lot of plot exposition that seems to be just not there. Don't know why they'd do this, when they gleefully rearrange their schedules to give us a full hour (or more) of Digimon on a weekly basis. rolleyes.gif

-Since when does Prowl have a brother? I remember hearing in Gen 1 that Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were siblings, so maybe the writers just combined Prowl and Sideswipe (which would explain the lambourghini).

-Nice to see that each 'bot has his own character; I think someone'll be talking to X-Brawn about the whole concept of "collateral damage." rolleyes.gif

-As usual, no female Autobots, though T-ai is cool, and I still hold out hope of Elita-1 (Prime's gf from the original series) putting in an appearance.

-Some explanation of the backstory would've been cool. Did the humans not know about the Transformers until the battle in New York?

[fanwank]

I get the feeling that the Autobots got to Earth first and were laying in wait; what we see now is Megatron's first assault. The 'bots have apparently been here long enough to learn their way around, build a fortress, design a human-type AI hologram, and build the transwarp space bridge.

Heck, from what we see it looks like X-Brawn had actually been purchased. eek.gif

And Optimus has a job! cool.gif

[/fanwank]

And of course, the big complaint:

-Where's Bumblebee?

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

This transformers just doesn't seem to have the same tone or mood as the older ones. I mean, it just seems like they're having so much fun doing all of that, like there's nothing really at stake. And call me old fashioned, but I miss having the Autobots actually having blasters in hand as their primary weapons.

And how many different thrings can Megatron transform into? Geez.

I guess I miss my old G1.

------------------

"Here, people don't lock their doors, they deadbolt them, and then stick a chair under the knob."

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Originally posted by me:

Does anyone know why it is called Beasties in Canada and Beast Wars in the U.S?

I figure it's because of Canada's exageration on censoring... "War" what an awful word! redface.gif

This seems to be the right forum to ask...

so?

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited September 08, 2001).]

Thrawn: Well, as I said, if this was the first battle between Autobots and Predacons, a little exhuberance could be understood (especially from Sideburn). Hopefully, things'll get more serious when Ultra Magnus makes an appearance (no-one can suck the fun out of a room like him wink.gif ).

Although I do agree that that little popgun is not worthy of the Prime. Whatever happened to the big-ass Riot Gun that he had in G1?.

Jem: I think it has more to do with copyright laws (though don't ask me how). Possibly its the same thing that turned War Planets into Shadow Raiders.

PB: You suck. wink.gif

<small>BTW PB, Wildstorm (I think) is about to launch a new G.I. Joe comic series --one without direction from Hasbro (so it's not a "giant toy commercial).

I'll review it when it comes out. From what I hear, it's a modern story; set ten years after the end of the original. Cobra has been beaten, and most of the leaders are either dead or in maximum security prison, though Cobra Commander is still at large. The Joes were disbanded when Cobra went down, but now the original Joes (Duke, Scarlet, Snake Eyes, et all) are being called out of retirement. . .</small>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Flying Beastie (edited September 09, 2001).]

But according to Chameleon's filecard, Baroness is already in the Federal prison in Terre Haute, IN. So that means only DESTRO got captured. Well, there were those two flamboyantly gay leaders of the Crimson Guard. I figured they just died or something.

But all the Joes would be OLD. Most of them served in Vietnam (according to filecards)...

You don't get it kid.

Transformers was, like, the Pokémon of my generation.

--Me, to a (much much younger) friend, trying to explain why a 21-year-old still goes gaga over giant transforming robots.

And Nute, What I meant be "Cobra Leaders" wasn't just Destro (who has a new look in the comics, BTW), but also most of the "named" characters, like Stormshadow and various others.

And the initial Joes series was set in the 80s/early 90s. Ten years would be about right. None of the originals would exactly be kids (except possibly Snake Eyes; we never knew exactly how old he was), but they wouldn't be retirement age either.

Maybe we'll even get to see some of the younger chars from the old series/movie.

<small>I might even get some use out of my Snake Eyes/Jinx 'shipper card!</small> wink.gif

------------------

He's Ken (of Barbie fame) in disguise. Remember that Nissan commercial with Van Halen playing "You Really Got Me" in the background? This is his way to conceal his shame... biggrin.gif

Best. Car. Ad. Ever.

(Just in case you don't remember it: http://www.adcritic.com/content/nissan-300zx-barbie-dolls.html )

[This message has been edited by edlib (edited September 10, 2001).]

Prime should have a bigger gun. And I guess I do miss him as a tractor trailer. I can't wait to get the box set of G1: the first season biggrin.gif

------------------

"Here, people don't lock their doors, they deadbolt them, and then stick a chair under the knob."

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

I was wrong; the new Joes comics come from Image, not Wildstorm. My bad.

It came out this week (bad timing, really frown.gif ).

I'll review it when the current firestorm has died down.

As for Snake-Eyes' hair colour, the current book has avoided all debate. The ninja is now bald. cool.gif

------------------

Archived