Home

Mega-Cd "The Secret of Monkey Island" + Value?

I have the opportunity of purchasing the Mega-Cd version of "The Secret of Monkey Island" and was just wondering a couple of things:

1) Value - what *should* I pay?

2) What was originally contained in the box? (Just to make sure I am not getting something incomplete).

3) Has anybody here ever played it on the Mega-Cd (would be *really* interested to hear your stories).

Starting to get ridiculous though - just bought the Kixx editions for the Amiga (they are the second-issue, right?), have "Monkey Island Madness" on PC, two copies of "The Curse of Monkey Island" also (one included with the "Monkey Island Madness" cd), and the lovely full-boxed edition of "Escape from Monkey Island" (which, at the time, I picked instead of getting "The Monkey Island Bounty Pack" as I originally had the games on the Amiga). I'm also waiting to hear about ORIGINAL PC versions of the first two. Have had a sudden urge to collect as many editions as possible and set them up in my room.

Nice to meet you all - first post!

^Doody.

Yeah I've got the Mega CD. It's certainly harder to get hold of than a PC/Amiga copy, but it's not in the same league as the FM-Towns versions or anything. I payed around $25 I think, and I wouldn't expect to get more than $40 if I sold it today - I'm no expert of course, I could be very wrong.

In terms of finding original boxes, the games aren't hard to come across it's just a pain to find decent quality boxes - they're going on twenty years old now, some of them. For example, my Zak McKracken box has a pretty big rip on the side... it's regretable, but what can you do?

Anyway, as far as I can remember (I don't have it here) the Mega CD is a box roughly the same size as a Megadrive box, but it's paper instead of plastic and is about as thick as a DVD case. Inside is an instruction manual and a CD case with a copy of the game in. The CD is different to the other CD versions of Monkey Island, it has two swords on or a monkey or something.

As for playing the game, you need a SEGA emulator and a ROM to kickstart the ability to play CD games, I don't think it's hard to find one. The gameplay is essentially the same as the other versions, there are no major differences except the controls, which obviously work without a mouse.

I don't know why I wrote all that, I just remembered this site.

Look here.

Haha - yes, I'm thinking about trying to track down the FMTowns version - I'm serious about finding it, and would probably think about paying silly money if the opportunity arose.

I ended up buying the Mega-Cd version of "The Secret of Monkey Island" for about $50 (mostly because the box is in decent, although not perfect, shape - http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/56/91/f1_1_b.JPG). Should get it in a few days.

Thanks for all your help.

^Doody

Archived