Home

PC help needed!

Thorpie41

I haven't been around in a very long while, but since I need some help with my PC, guess what? I is scrounging help!

I have a brand spanking new set of hardware with bells on. Anyway, I have my primary hard disc set up in the RAID socket and the CD ROM drive in the Primary IDE. The drive is formatted and partitionned into 1 drive. I bang in my Windows 98, 2nd Ed. CD, along with the boot disc. It boots ok and I begin installing win 98. Everything is fine until the win 98 setup reboots the machine. It gets to verifying DMI pool data and just stops - no HD activity.

I tried booting with the boot disc so I could have a look at my drives. I have no Autoexec.bat file and those wonderful system files in my C:\

My thoughts are: It won't boot cause I don't have autoexec.bat.

Before anyone says anything; I have selected c as my primary boot drive. I have also tried putting my hard drive in primary master IDE - it still doesn't boot.

It may be a kinda newbieish problem, but this is my first time building my own PC.

If anyone can offer help, please do!

Now, for your enjoyment, a fit of begging:

PLEEEEEASSSSE HELP!

PS. I am not a newbie! I reckon my account was deleted cause I haven't used it in a while!

------------------

"Never raise your hands to kids. It leaves your groin exposed."

Fix it the Jem way:

Try hitting your computer in different spots several time. If that doesn't work then start kicking it. If that still doesn't work hold it up high (about 2 metres) and let it fall. And if that still doesn't work increase the height by 2 metres and keep doing that until it works.

I was glad to help.

when you partitioned your drives, did you make C active?

the computer should still boot without autoexec.bat, i think. but I would just run the install again.

*Sniff* Makes me remember my own homade computer.

Anyway, make sure the disc drive isn't drive C, becuse of the default.

I dont have Windows98+ so, someone here may give you autoexe.bat for you to use.

Also try looking through the directories in DOS to find any problems there.

Do you have a baseball bat? Yes? gooood.

now, your computer case, you know, theone with the CPU and Drives? take that outside. yes, it needs to be off, during transportation, but when you outside, get an extansion cord, and turn that baby on!

Get yer baseball bat.

Now, to "Encourage" your computer to work, you need to hit it. With the Baseball bat that yuouhave in your hand. Smack it, bash it, and keep doing that until it starts to belch smoke.

Then, be VERY CAREFUL and unplug the computer. Take it back inside, hook it back up to your monitor and stuff. trun it on, and it should owkr. yeah, ignore the sparks and the smoke and the flames, thats normal. biggrin.gif

(If you do actually try this, then i pity you. THIS WAS A JOKE... )

------------------

This post has been proven more fun

than nailing a weasle to your forehead!

Because the weasle might care.

OFFICIAL ANIME AMBASSADOR OF XWA.NET!™

Official Diablo II Guru!

Computer AND People skills, that's why Crackhead is a commander and makes the big bucks biggrin.gif

------------------

"Here, people don't lock their doors, they deadbolt them, and then stick a chair under the knob."

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Well, I've just about fixed the whole lot. It all works fine now apart from my CD RW.

My HD is in Primary Secondary in the BIOS, yet it is in the master slot on the cable and IDE 1?????? It came with factory settings but I reckon the jumpers were'nt set properly. That's why when I stick in a RW CD the thing crashes! Does that sound plausable to you?

PS The jumpers on my CD RW are set to Master - hence the conflict! (Tell me I'm right, then I can fix it)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Thorpie41 (edited October 24, 2001).]

1.How many CD roms you have? Do you have a CD and DVD or CD and a writer.

2.How many HDD do you have? You need at least 2 (of the same size and speed) to have a raid set-up.

3.How many IDE sockets do you have? I would imagine you have two.

4.Always check you HDD and CD-rom jumpers.

Guest Jabba The Hunt

take large bomb, strap to head, walk up to bin laden and detonate.

The author takes not responsibility for anyone dumb newbie that takes this seriously

------------------

"Getting Drunk is great you should try it sometime"

"I did once, I just cant remember if I enjoyed it or not"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

Guest Hans The Great

Yep.

It sounds like a jumper setting problem to me. If you have two drives attached to the primary or secondary IDE, set the jumpers on one to the "master" and the other to the "slave" setting.

Make sure the master is attached to the right connection on the IDE cable (see the instructions that come with the HD or CD-ROM)

Too late I fixed it! Thx for the help though!

The bloke at the shop said it wasn't the jumpers on the HD but when I set them correctly, according to the Western Digital website, I stopped getting crashes and write errors!

I should be working at that shop! smile.gif

------------------

Archived