Home

I'm sorry to say, but Malak is cooler than the three scrubs in this game [SPOILERS]

Joe89

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've snarked before that KOTOR 1 was Episodes 4-6. Simplistic, but had a grand old space opera feel. That "seat of the pants," Flash Gordon rollar coaster that made the classic Star Wars such a unpretentious, guilty pleasure good time. What elevated it to a classic was the characters. You wanted to reach out and touch them. Many players, including myself, CAN'T pull Dark Side because they feel physically ill striking down Mission and Zaalbar, despite them just being pixels. You saw them grow up, you saw them transform from where you picked them up - good or ill.

KOTOR 2? A half-finished hackjob that shouldn't have made it out of beta, a project whose ambiton exceeded its capacity to tell the story. The plot's a mess that goes nowhere, makes nothing for sense, contradicts itself, and has holes the size of the first Death Star. Mind you, the concepts and the ambitious thought behind them really are appreciated. Influence - fabulous idea, but all it seems to do is dictate which of your party you can make saber swingers. The graying up of morality? Also appreciated, even if the game comes off as cynical and nihilistic overall.

Sure, the characters were intriguing, but in the creepy way a Tarantino flick pulls off. You may like watching them, but you'd move away if they were in the next flat over. Mostly, they left me cold and not wanting to spend any time with them. Worse, is that the whole idea of their dialogue tree is playing "unlock the Force," and ends abruptly once you do. The higher level caps, the overdone workbench (good idea, but if they'd spent less time on it...), and the rest seemed like this was a game for the munchkins. And the <i>sterotypical</i> munchkin doesn't like much plot...

Splitting the antagonism between the three weakened them all. With Malak, you were focused, you had your target, you had your treasure hunt, and you weren't directionless. With this one, you didn't have a focus. The treasure hunt? You find the Jedi and kill them. You find the Jedi and spare them. It does not matter. They have no part to play in the hunting down and destroying of the enemies you face. They don't lead you to Nihilus and Sion, save the Vash trap on Korriban. They'd be GREAT enemy concepts alone, but as a whole they're speed bumps.

Archived