Home

Philosophy of Science

Windu Chi

*Yawn*

The reality-based community does. And that's enough for me. I don't really care much for the good opinion of people who choose to live in fantasy land.

Lemme see...

- Kyoto

- Iraq

- Guantanamo

- White phosphorous over Fallujah

- War on Terror

- The IMF [1]

- Iran

- The Ottawa Protocol [2]

- Death penalty

- Secret torture camps

- Supports fascist organisations in Europe [3]

- Iran [4]

- Palestine [5]

- Chile

- Reproductive health

- The Geneva Convention

- The anti-torture convention

Do you want a longer list? I could easily add entries all night.

[1] More specifically the ruinous policies it forced on several Latin American countries for decades - you wonder why the Venezuelans don't like the Eigenstates? I don't.

[2] The Eigenstates have yet to sign the Ottawa Protocol.

[3] Creationists, (militant) anti-abortion activists, and the Roman Catholic Church - to name a few.

[4] More specifically the war that you're going to launch against Iran, as well as the execrable handling of the entire Iranian crisis.

[5] See [4]. Esp. the part about 'execrable handling.'

For your information, I support the Danish tax system. Actively.

*Yawn*

That's trivial. Science doesn't claim to be.

A really good link explaining why your criticism is meaningless. Bookmark it.

Philosophy is an interesting subject (the best debates always took place in philosophy class). However, philosophers can exhibit a tendency to haughtily dismiss practicality in favour of absolutes. A common philosophical rebuttal of science (particular evolutionary science, which faces powerful religious opponents) is that it lacks certainty. It is not proven. There is no guarantee of its truth or falsehood. And guess what: surprise! It's all true.

So why is science great, if it's not certain or proven or guaranteed true? The short answer is that these criticisms are meaningless, because nothing outside the existence of your own thoughts is certain, proven, or guaranteed true. If you wish to use absolute proof, certainty, or guarantees of truth as your litmus test for validity, then you have just subscribed to solipsism: the belief that nothing can be reliably known besides the existence of your own thought.

*Yawn*

That's trivial. Science doesn't claim to be.

A really good link explaining why your criticism is meaningless. Bookmark it.

From the link:

You know absolutly nothing of what is true or certain so your response is infinity meaningless there is no truth anywhere in this universe or any other, there is only apparent truth(knowlege). To have absolute truth you will have to be everywhere through time in the past, future and everywhere in the present.

Also you don't even understand nothing of philosophy either because philosophy started science so your belief that science have the last word in what is truth and what is not is another example of your ingorance of philosophy.

Also don't get me wrong on science, I do understand science and trust it sometimes. But when some people who use science claim that something is not true usualy don't have a clue.

With that said, you can't ignore philosophy when you use science.

Archived