Home

Force Commander Opinions - Any Good?

Guest Hans The Great

Guest Hans The Great

Is this game any good? I was thinking about buying it. I heard that it has a user interface similar to "Battlezone", a game that I love, so that would be a definite plus. What's your opinion?

Guest Thrawn

I think it's pretty good myself. It has a great story line and the interface is easy to learn. You'll either love or hate this game.

------------------

"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Wraith 5

I think the game rooks!!!

But i say that if you have the time download the demo...

try it for your self

Guest Herman

I think its a shoddy attempt of a starwars rts thats isnt much fun as each side only really has a couple of units youll ever use. The missions are also boring, and im very glad i didnt buy it, at it is inferior to total annihilation in every way (yes I even prefer TAs older graphics as I dont like the new 3d perspectives). And no game can *ever* beat TAs interface.

Im hoping the Star Wars TA conversion is revived.

------------------

"Failure is something that happens to other people."

Guest nutz_efa_33rd_BTS_kitch

i am a Detuty Club catin over at wireplay for this game and it rocks lik rthe music

------------------

Guest LIZZO

I haven't played Force COmmander but, contrary to poular opinion, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Rebellion. I thought it was an exceptional game, the perfect SWars strategy game.

When I saw the previous for Force COmmander I thought it looked terrible and so didn't get it. If you haven't played Rebellion i seriously recommend it.

Guest Fondas

At last, I'd managed to spare some time and finish the FC demo. My opinion ? The game has all the pros and cons of a 3D RTS , the command point system is brilliant and it's star wars ! The problem is that the LEC's lack of experience in RTS is more than obvious. Why do I say that ? Simple : They have designed troopers to be the best unit in the game ! They are inexpensive, so you can have them in great numbers. All they need is a little support from AT's and they can take any building .

I could be wrong , but if you manage your infantry right, you can win any battle. I think that this unbalances the game.

------------------

The only place where success comes prior to work, is in a dictionary ! TZG+7

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paulbarnard

IF any one has a Sam's Club in the area, i would suggest buying the FoCom/Rebellion 2 pack. Costs as much as a new game ($40 american), and you get 2. One average (Reb), the other above (FoCom). Star Wars Related.

If you hear about FoCom not living up to expectations, don't worry about it. The reviewers were expecting the RTS equivalent of the Second Coming of Christ. They got instead a good RTS game that uses Star Wars, has great graphics, great sound effects, techno themes. Nothing from LucasArts will ever be able to live up to it's hype for the PC for awhile. Can only out do themselves so many times.

------------------

Paul Barnard

aka Bad Monkey

http://www.geocities.com/knight_watch_2000

knight_watch_2000@yahoo.com

Guest Hans The Great

Well I finally broke down and bought it (at eb for 1/3 the original price). It did'nt thrill me that much. And how do you/can you play as a Rebel commander? Maybe I just need to play it some more...

Guest Herman

After you finish up on Abridon (after about 15 missions) you defect to the Rebels

------------------

"Failure is something that happens to other people."

Guest Rogue15

Get the 2-packer, i too love rebellion and force commander, i got the 2-pak for only $40!!! Force Commander makes command & conquer look like something threw up.

Anybody want to EDIT REBELLION????? I know where to get the editor if you want it. It takes less than a megabyte, and you can create your own character and download characters too. You can even change the amount of money that things cost, you can build the death star in 1 day!!! i wish you could build more than 1 death star though, you can build unlimited super star destroyers!! (i think).

Guest Thrawn

Yes, I did this and had great fun! You have unlimited everything except death stars.

I had a huge fleet with a SSD, DS, and 35 ISD's and 2 Interdictors. Then I put Thrawn and Palleon and Veers with the fleet and made it invincible. It's easy to capture the characters you need to win with because you just destroy the planet and capture the ships fleeing the system smile.gif

------------------

"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Rogue15

Did you know you can change the major character cards? you can kind of simulate what it would be like to be in control of the empire after battle of endor, like have thrawn as the emperor or jerec, all you need to do is download the cards, unzip them and put them where they say to put them. It's much cooler that way.

------------------

"The Empire is on the verge of success, soon peace and order will be restored throughout the galaxy." -emperor Palpatine

YO! - I have Force Commander, but I cannot find Rebellion / Supremecy anywhere, and its the one that i REALL want, so if any of you guys know where to get a copy at a air price - then im in !

Plus, as for Force Commander, its is not bad at all. I glad they included a skirmish mode (ALWAYS a good sign). Love the new units, and the graphics RARELY glitch, and I MEAN rarely. Good camera system, reminiscent of Warzone 2100 (another game i loved), but 2 things........

The training missions were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy, and then you get thrown in on what I found tough (im not great at strategy games, but ive played enough to know that the firat level should be a tad simplier !)

Are we going to be a ble to get new units, as has been done for TA:Kingdoms, C&C series etc. If so, we REALLY need to get some HUGE maps for skirmish so taht we can bring in more fighters - V-Wing Assualt Speeder at least !

Well - thats all for now !

Guest Rogue15

Oh man, you should have went to a SAMs or BJs to get the 2-pack of Force Commander & Rebellion for only $40 like i did!!!!

'cause that's the only place i found it. I found it at SAMs. It is a super-hard game that i haven't beat yet. If you do want it though, you can get the 2-pack and give the force commander game to a friend and then you can play a force commander modem game or play it on the zone.

I was glad i got the 2-pack 'cause i would of never got Rebellion unless i ordered it from the catalog for $30. I don't know any other place that might have Rebellion.

Guest Rogue15

As for units in force commander, all i know (i've tried these ones out), you get alot of different units: AT-STs, AT-PTs, stormtroopers, imperial speeder bikes, and some other units. If you meant download new units to put in the game, i don't know.

I have noticed taht some of you reckon that there arent enough units, but I found that even though there are not as many units and buildings as in other RTS games, it still works well, as the Command Point system seems to compensate for that, and the units all, rather than simply attacking or building, can have a secondary ability, AND can have 3 weapons. The buildings work fine as simple as they are, and the added units taht are not seen in the books / films work wel with the well knowns. I honestly can't get a enough of Skirmish - im not a great startigist, but i always win on points ! but it is still a chanllenge

The other great thing is how you take over buildings. You dont simply send in any old engineer and tahts it, you have to fight the buildings security force, and make sure the troops you send in are able to handle the task. The way in which you cannot build or drop off stuff any where, whilst slightly infuriating, is a great way in which the tactics needed are increased.

An the camera 'slober' 'dribble'. If only you could do as like X-Wing Alliance and record missions..... The views you can get are SOOOO cinematic, and look the biz, such as the other day 'Flash back effect'.....

My 3 AT-ATs and support are moving down a valley, and a group of speeders appear. I put the camera down and to the side of the action, so it was like you were looking at the action from a point about 10 meters from the cliff edge.

Attaching the camera to the AT-ATs or TIE-Fighters as the go, facing the camera to see what would be the equivilant of the unit's 1st view looks so GREAT !

All that is really missing is the ability to , as in Warzone 2100, actually drive and fire the vehicles weapons themselves ! (How about a quick spin on a swoop, or an AT-AT/AT-ST !)

BUY IT OR BE A VERY POOR EXCUSE FOR A STAR WARS FAN !!!!!!!!!

------------------

Nove Squadron, Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the MC Oracle, home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - Eclipse Star Destroyers !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest Scoundrel67

You are all too forgiving of this mediocre excursion into the RTS genre. On a 0-100 scale, I'd place it in the 68-72 bracket depending on my mood at the moment. The graphics are two years behind the times, but I don't demand mega doses of eye candy because my PII 350 Dell only has an 8Mb video card and probably coundn't handle something exceptionally detailed. The sound is good, not great, and does help create the Star Wars atmosphere. The interface is easy to use, but it does take up a little too much of the screen. So far, not great, but not bad , right?

Where Force Commander leaves me cold is in the disparity between Rebel and Imperial units. Go to the Zone and you'll find that everyone is skirmishing as Imperials. Why? Because the Imperial units rely on raw firepower and are cheaper to procure. You don't have to manage them very much, just send them into battle and if they are destroyed just order a few more!

The Rebel units rely on shields and are more taxing to manage because you can't just crush your Imperial opposition with a big hammer blow. Hit and fade is mandatory if you want to keep a unit alive for any length of time. Unfortunately, as this is a RTS game, things are happening all over the map at the same time and all of them require your immediate attention.

If you only skirmish against your computer then this can be overcome through a war of attrition. The computer spends a lot of time building up it's defenses around the Imperial command center and you can go out and take over bunker after bunker to earn more command points. With your points built up you then begin a serious assault on the Imp command center. Human opponents aren't so easy...

When doing battle as a Rebel against an Imperial human opponent you are in deep trouble from the very begining. Because Rebel units are more expensive to procure it's tough to be all over the map taking over bunkers to earn command points. Keep in mind that command points are your credit line with your superior officers and that if you run out of them then you've almost certainly lost the game. You'll never destroy enough enemy units to earn the command points necessary for victory with what you have in the field at any given moment--capturing and holding bunkers to earn more command points is essential!

Unfortunately, capturing and holding the bunkers against a human controlled Imperial force is quite difficult because your regular rebel troopers are not as durable as Imperial Stormtroopers. Yes, you can use heavy troopers or infiltrators to take and hold bunkers, but these cost many more command points. Using these tougher units saps your ability to purchase the armor, defensive turrets, and air power necessary to take the battle to the enemy. This places you in a defensive stance from which you can seldom regain the initiative in the battle.

Another major problem with Force Commander is the mediocre pathfinding. All too often I have to order a unit to come to a stop and then carefully guide it out from a rocky outcropping or group of buildings where it has gotten stuck. Units that become stuck and then eventually dislodge themselves cause an assault force to string out and become vulnerable. Sometimes it's even necessary to destroy the unit by selecting it and hitting the delete key because it simply can't be dislodged. This is expensive and very, very aggravating.

The final major gripe I have with Force Commander is that you only have one supply shuttle for each general size of unit. It takes too long to order units and get them into battle with only one shuttle per category of small, medium, and large units. This wouldn't a major nuisance if you could stack two or three orders per shuttle type to be filled automatically in the order that you placed them. Such is not the case, hence it's a trying experience to assemble a major, combined arms strike force to assault the Imperial command center before your base comes under attack.

If you're a Star Wars fanatic or can get Force Commander at a discount, then go ahead and pick up a copy. Spending an evening with this game is not a terrible experience, but it's not everything it should be, either.

------------------

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Well, you sure sucked the fun outta THAT game !

So what - it the rebels are well known for having a hard time of things, and the game reflects as much. It simply means tat if you ae a confident and competent Rebel commander - then your DA MAN !

Most games usually have extremely well balanced sides - which is dull. It is NOT always gonna be like taht - hell ! - ITS NEVER been like that, so its more realistic.

And so what if they have shields - they regenerate, armour doesn't....

------------------

Nove Squadron, Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the MC Oracle, home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - Eclipse Star Destroyers !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Guest General Taskor

I love this game, it rocks. I only recommend getting this game if you have a fast computer. example a compaq with 126 ram or higher. A really good 3d card and sound card.

With all these things the game runs fantastic. No glitches or anything. I beat this game after a lot of ploting the levels and ordering my troops I came out victorious.

Guest Scoundrel67
Originally posted by Cmdr_DFMD:

Well, you sure sucked the fun outta THAT game !

My apologies if I soured things for you, but can you honestly differ with the correctness of my statements? As I said, just go to the Zone on any given evening and everyone is skirmishing as an arrogant Imperial commander, not a scrappy Rebel. They do so for a very good reason: the Imperial forces, given the mechanics of the game, are tougher opponents.

So what - it the rebels are well known for having a hard time of things, and the game reflects as much. It simply means tat if you ae a confident and competent Rebel commander - then your DA MAN !

Why, thank you! Against the computer, I be DA MAN, but against a human Imperial commander I be DA CANNON FODDER on a consistant basis. The computer allocates 65% or so of it's command points to base defense and this allows me to capture enough bunkers to stay in the game and grind the Imps down. Most Imperial human opponents share my battle philosophy (the best defense is a good offense) and snatch as many bunkers as possible as soon as possible. We all know that grabbing bunkers early in the game pays big dividends down the line.

Unfortunately, the inferiority of my regular troopers and the expense of my heavies and infiltrators severely degrades my ability to rack up enough command points to put together a sustained combined arms assault against the Imperial command center. I spend too much time and resources squabbling over bunkers near my command center and not enough time seizing them on distant parts of the map. If the Rebels started out with a more generous allotment of command points than the Imperials this would go a long way towards leveling the playing field. Such is not the case.

Most games usually have extremely well balanced sides - which is dull. It is NOT always gonna be like taht - hell ! - ITS NEVER been like that, so its more realistic.

And so what if they have shields - they regenerate, armour doesn't....

The technological superiority of the Rebel forces is their great and only saving grace. It does not, however, balance things completely. Again, check the Zone skirmishes for verification of this.

Well balanced sides are dull? I think not. Easier single player Imperial missions and more difficult single player Rebel missions would be both accurate and interesting. The hard scrabble Rebels overcoming the domineering Imperials is central to the Star Wars saga and fits wonderfully with single player missions. Programmers use the imbalance to tailor the difficulty to challange and frustrate the single players without disheartening them. The imbalance becomes a pain in the rump when confronted with an actual thinking human opponent, however.

This disparity is obvious while trying to emulate their heroic struggle against a nominally intelligent opponent on line. What is truely dull and frustrating is having a choice that really isn't a choice at all while on the Zone: be an Imp or be crushed. A great story is a great story, but, at least in this case, did not translate into a great multiplayer game. A fair one, but not great.

------------------

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I think Im gonna lose this arguement, so I think I'll end with - 'We beg to differ' !

Anyway, this all academic, as it is a bit late now. It is a good game, but the greatest in Lucas Arts catalogue (THAT place is reserved for Star Wars : Online IF it ever arrives, but is currently held by X-Wing Alliance).

------------------

Guest Hans The Great

A Compaq is a good machine? I beg to differ!

But anyway, the interface is giving me whiplash, bopping from unit to unit, over terrain, ect. Still trying to get used to it.

Guest General Taskor

It depends on what kind of Compaq it is. I said compaq because I have tried it on one and everything runs like a charm, doesn't slow down, doesn't freeze, no glitches.

Archived