Home

No sound

pure1224

hi!

i have the same problem, scorpicus, you'r a hundred percent right, that's what it looks like, i've got 3,6 ghz 1024mb ram, operating system is xp, with realtek high defintion audio (on board sound - i think, but i'm not quite sure)

so...help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you downloaded the patch that you can get from here? GF doesn't like running on advanced PCs.

If the patch doesn't work click on your start bar and from there click on run. Then type in: dxdiag. This opens a box full of options to fiddle with! :dev11: Click on the sound tab. Move the "hardware sound acceleration level" slider down to basic or none. That should sort it (fingers crossed)

just with directx i couldn't fix it, but with the system audio setup because here i can regulate the hardware sound acceleration AND the quality of convertion; both moved to standard or basic and (hsa the second mark and quality of convertion the first) gf works perfectly, thanks !!!

• 5 months later...

I'm also having a problem with the sound. It's nothing to do with the menu but sometimes when I'm in the middle of playing the game the sound either goes off altogether and goes quiet and fuzzy or the volume goes so low that you can hardly hear it. i have the volume on full on my monitor, the game itself and my ear phones, so it can't be anything to do with that, but I'm just stumped on what it could be. I downloaded the patch and installed it ages ago. I'm just getting really frustrated when i play the game.

Hmmmm... very strange... Have you tried the DXdiag method in the 4th post of this thread? Also what operating system are you running it on? You're not playing it on a laptop are you? (the sound often goes dodgy when I play games on mine) If you could give your system specs that would be great

• 2 months later...

GF will not work on my PC either... It is a relatively recent PC, but not exactly high-end either. I installed the patched, and fiddled with my DirectX sound settings, but to no avail. Please help me, I have never played the game before and want to experience it!! I have a SoundMAX digital audio device, with an smwdm.sys driver from 2003. The sound cuts out for good when I access the menu, and it skips frequently and quickly when I boot up the game. This is a nightmare!

• 3 weeks later...

Um, I'm brand new to this site: I just got Grim Fandango yesterday but I too am having problems with the sound. When playing it will either stutter and skip or just cut out completely after a few minutes of gameplay, which forces me to head out of the game and relaunch it...which is frustrating to say the least. I've tried running the DXDIAG and lowering sound acceleration to standard, then basic, then none. Each time there was no success. What else can I do? I'm trying to run the game on an ALienware m5550 laptop with 1024mb of RAM, a Core Duo 1.66GHz processor, a 256mb GeForce Go7600 graphics card and according to DXDIAG a Realtek HD Audio Output. What can I do? I really wanna play this game because what I've played so far has seemed really good, but I don't think I'll be able to put up with relaunching the game every few minutes!!!

Like nz_waggo, I'm brand new to this Forum, and also to Grim Fandango. A friend loaned me the game a few days ago and I've been hooked ever since!

I'm running the game on an AMD Turion 64x2 laptop and I too experienced problems at first with the sound cutting out every time I opened the menu. Sometimes it just cut out whilst I was playing, and I also experienced lockups just as Manny was about to speak or the game was about to go to an animation or a cut-scene.

After a bit of Googling, I found this site.

I downloaded the imagecfg program and followed the instructions on the website and since then the game has run perfectly.

Hopefully this will help some of you to enjoy the game as much as I am. :)

EDIT:

I just remembered that I made one change in the 'processor.bat' file. Once I knew that it worked, I replaced the 'pause' command with 'grim.exe'. That way I can run the game with just one click - 'cause I'm lazy! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Archived