Home

Dialog question -- copy/paste between .dlg files?

Hi all

I was wondering if there's any tool that allows copy/paste of dialog nodes between DLG files. If there's a way right under my nose that I am missing, please consider this a noob question :).

Thanks

Tragically, no. tk102 doesn't use the Windows clipboard for his *.dlg editor - unlike with K-GFF. For this reason, you cannot copy between dialogue files. You could post a feature request in his thread here.

I don't know how likely a reply is, tk102 hasn't been around in a while.

Edit: Ugh! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Open up your dialogues in K-GFF, it will look a bit strange, don't worry. Scroll down to the entry you wish to copy and paste it into the other file. It is not a precise art.

Ugh! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Open up your dialogues in K-GFF, it will look a bit strange, don't worry. Scroll down to the entry you wish to copy and paste it into the other file. It is not a precise art.

If you do it this way, don't forget to update the TypeID of the structs after you've pasted them into the EntryList or ReplyList to the next free value, and to update the RepliesList (within the EntryList structs) and EntriesList (within the ReplyList structs) index fields to point to the new values, or your copied nodes may become orphaned and not part of the dialog tree.

sigsgev - I considered adding this feature but it soon became clear how much headache would be involved doing so.

- Each node in the pasted branch would have to be renumbered

- Each link would have to reflect the renumbering

- Recursive references would have to be retested/added if the copied branch normally ended with "(Already listed)"

- Module-level script references copied to the new dialog may not fire correctly

The above is not impossible to accomplish, I just got discouraged as complexity revealed itself piece by piece and decided to work on other things.

Archived