Home

yet another xp problem

the rube

i've already read a bunch of threads regarding GF's compatibility with Windows XP. i installed the game from cd perfectly, patched it, then ran it. after having to tinker with all sorts of compatibility issues and various sound programs, i feel that i am very close to getting it to work. the opening cutscene works perfectly fine, but when it's over, manny completely disappears.

i have tried the different 3d options in the game menu but the only difference is that without hardware acceleration i also have a couple of faint lines across the screen. i'm sure it has something to do with all the missing direct x files, which i'm already well aware that i can't get back through downgrading direct x.

i'm running it out of win xp service pack 2 with a 2.16 athlon with a gig of RAM and an ati radeon 9800 xt card. is there anything left that i can do or is it hopeless by this point?

also, i'm new here. i don't know if i've missed my answer (even though i have lurked through a few pages already), but please keep that in mind. every other lucasarts game i've tried (sam & max, full throttle) works absolutely fine - no modification needed other than vdmsound to detect my nvidia sound card.

Welcome. :)

Have you tried upgrading (or downgrading) your ATI graphics card drivers? Also, try tweaking your graphics card drivers' anti-aliasing options.

The only time I've had the issue you describe is when I tried to force anti-aliasing, which Grim Fandango doesn't like unless you use a very specific and old anti-aliasing method which thus far I've only been able to work out on nVidia cards.

Welcome. :)

Have you tried upgrading (or downgrading) your ATI graphics card drivers? Also, try tweaking your graphics card drivers' anti-aliasing options.

The only time I've had the issue you describe is when I tried to force anti-aliasing, which Grim Fandango doesn't like unless you use a very specific and old anti-aliasing method which thus far I've only been able to work out on nVidia cards.

i've got the anti-aliasing options on automatic (let the application decide), so i don't think i've been forcing anything. i also don't know how i could downgrade my drivers and i don't know if that would be good for the rest of my computer.

Hmm, strange. As for DirectX, I've ran it on the latest (9.03c or something) without any issues, so I don't think that's likely to be the root of the problem.

But then, I managed to get GF running on my copy of XP several months ago without any issues at all. There's obviously some kind of variable on your set-up that's throwing a spanner of the works, but sadly I've no idea what that is at this time.

For the sake of interest, here's what I ran it with:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

GeForce 6600 GT 128mb

1gb of DDRAM

Windows XP (not 64bit)

Benny's Launcher

Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value

Archived