Home

Scripts won't open in KotOR Tool

Miltiades

If you're unable to get KT to decompile the script for you, you can do it manually also. Extract the .ncs file to a folder and run the command line nwnnsscomp.exe utility to decompile the source code to .pcode. I believe the syntax is simply

nwnnsscomp -d my_ncs_file.ncs

As Kaspian intimated, you might be able to find the .nss file within the scripts.bif, or failing that, you could download the DeNCS utility so that you don't have to interpret the .pcode yourself.

Sorry I can't provide direct KT assistance.

Yeah, I know how to do it manually, I just thought it was possible with Kotor Tool.

@Kaspian: I have Fred Tetra's version of nwnnsscomp, not Hazard's. I've read that Hazard's only works with K1 scripts. Still, Fred's version should work properly, don't know why it doesn't.

I tried Fred's compiler and it works. Next I created an empty file, put "ABCDEFGH" text in it, saved as nwnnsscomp.exe in KT's directory and guess what ... it worked :) No "Error launching nwnnsscomp" - scripts will not compile (tried it, system hung up).

I got the error only once when my file's name wasn't nwnnsscomp.exe

Just thought of something. Do you have a non-US version of TSL installed? There was a syntax error in nwscript.nss that was distributed to non-US version of the game (details here). If you have this syntax error, then nwnnsscomp will fail. Now if you correct the syntax error in nwscript.nss and place nwscript.nss into the same folder as the nwnnsscomp.exe, you should be in business.

Yep, I have a non-US version, but I've edited the nwscript.nss a long time ago, so that can't be the problem.

@Kaspian: The filename is correct. There was something weird though. When doubleclicking the nwnnsscomp.exe in the KT map, it opens and closes very quickly. When opening it in the original map, it opens and a whole bunch of lines come up in the window, very fast and non-stop. They're both the same file, so I don't have a clue what this could be.

Archived