Home

kse 333 dialog.tlk error

kash

I open kse 333 and then a error comes up

attempted to read past end of end of dialog.tlk

(tried to read string 130469 but dialog.tlk has 49265 entries)

I tried all i could think to fix it does anyone know what could be wrong and what could be done to fix it.

What this is telling you is that something (probably an item in your inventory) was saved that points to StrRef 130469, but the KotOR 1 dialog.tlk file only goes from 0 to 49264.

An entry that high would be valid for a KotOR II entry however, as that dialog.tlk file goes from 0 to 136328.

My guess would be that you either tried to add a mod that belongs to K2 into K1 (and thus it's unable to find the proper StrRef), or that you installed a mod at some point, but the patch for the dialog.tlk file is not currently applied.

For starters though, which game do you have installed? Or of course, is it both, but then which game are you trying to edit?

-Kitt

Well...

If you're sure you didn't either install a mod wrong or remove a mod you USED to have installed (which are usually the case here), you might try checking to see if you can load the save in question in the game itself.

If you can, look everything over to see if it has a missing or strange description or name or something. Entries in dialog.tlk are essentially just indexed text strings, so if something in the game is trying to point at 130469 and it isn't available, you should either get some kind of error or at least the data there should look weird.

Personally, I'd suggest looking through every item in inventory (and on all characters) first, since it happens when you attempt to edit your inventory.

You should also double check to make sure there are no stray files in your override folder, particularly UTI files. --Again, those are item files, and since the problem seems to be tied to using the inventory editor, it's as good a place as any to start.

Another thing you might try... Download the KotOR FindRefs utility and get it running. Then enter 130469 as your search term, and choose the "Include TLK file references" radio button and be sure it's set to KotOR (not TSL).

Run a search on all file types, and if any file anywhere is trying to address that StrRef, it should find it. If so, it will list the module and file that's trying to point to it, which can make getting this fixed a whole lot simpler. ;)

-Kitt

Another thing you might try... Download the KotOR FindRefs utility and get it running. Then enter 130469 as your search term, and choose the "Include TLK file references" radio button and be sure it's set to KotOR (not TSL).

Actually if you do run it against TSL's dialog.tlk you get "Crystal, Silver" which is an item not available normally in KotOR. Good thinking KK.

• 2 years later...

Archived