Home

rate of fire?

NethernyC

I'm trying to alter the rate of fire for the Tartan cruiser, just as an experiment, and I've noticed there really isn't anything there to regulate it's rate of fire. I was able to do this on other ships where you see

<Projectile_Types>Proj_Ship_Diamond_Boron_Missile</Projectile_Types>

<Turret_Rotate_Extent_Degrees>30</Turret_Rotate_Extent_Degrees>

<Turret_Elevate_Extent_Degrees>40</Turret_Elevate_Extent_Degrees>

<Projectile_Fire_Pulse_Count>5</Projectile_Fire_Pulse_Count>

<Projectile_Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>1</Projectile_Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>

<Projectile_Fire_Recharge_Seconds>8.0</Projectile_Fire_Recharge_Seconds>

The Tartan Cruiser doesn't seem to have the Projectile_Fire_Pulse_Delay. I'm thinking that's because it's shooting some kind of "generic laser" that is specified somewhere else? I've only had this game a week or two so sorry for asking a dumb question.

It is in the HardPoints.xml. Note there are total four of those Lasers to be modified to whatever you want on that hardpoint for weapons and firing characteristics. Also the recharge rate can be a random number from a given minimum to maximum.

If you look up the Projectile.xml listed "Proj_Ship_Medium_Laser_Cannon_Green", you can change the damage also.

The random nature of the recharge rate can be applied to other ships that have a fixed recharge rate, to add some random lucky shots into the mix.

The delay between the number of shots (5) is the Pulse delay value (0.2) seconds. The total time before the next volley is from 2 to 3 seconds (related to amount of energy left maybe or just random).

excerpt:

<!-- Hard points for the Tartan Cruiser -->

<HardPoint Name="HP_Tartan_Cruiser_00">

<Type> HARD_POINT_WEAPON_LASER </Type>

<Is_Targetable>No</Is_Targetable>

<Is_Destroyable>No</Is_Destroyable>

<Damage_Type> Damage_Tartan_Cruiser </Damage_Type>

<Fire_Bone_A>MuzzleA_00</Fire_Bone_A>

<Fire_Bone_B>MuzzleA_00</Fire_Bone_B>

<Fire_Cone_Width>65.0</Fire_Cone_Width>

<Fire_Cone_Height>45.0</Fire_Cone_Height>

<Fire_Projectile_Type>Proj_Ship_Medium_Laser_Cannon_Green</Fire_Projectile_Type>

<Fire_Min_Recharge_Seconds>2.0</Fire_Min_Recharge_Seconds>

<Fire_Max_Recharge_Seconds>3.0</Fire_Max_Recharge_Seconds>

<Fire_Pulse_Count>5</Fire_Pulse_Count>

<Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>0.2</Fire_Pulse_Delay_Seconds>

<Fire_Range_Distance>1000.0</Fire_Range_Distance>

<Fire_SFXEvent>Unit_Empire_Ship_Laser_Fire</Fire_SFXEvent>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Fighter, 5.8 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Bomber, 5.3 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Transport, 1.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Corvette, 10.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Frigate, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Capital, 30.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Super, 30.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Allow_Opportunity_Fire_When_Targeting>False</Allow_Opportunity_Fire_When_Targeting>

</HardPoint>

Thanks slocket, yeah I finally looked in the hardpoints file, and found them, and it seems the tartan cruiser actually has 5 guns. I also managed to increase it's size in game, and replace the small guns with mediums. Now I need to figure out how to add more "hardpoints" (guns) to it. I'm trying to make the corvettes more like they really are, like on SWG. That means 7 guns, and about 3 times the size of a X-Wing (at least). I have 3 master pilots on SWG, and I can tell you, the corvettes don't play. By default on EaW, the vettes are not much larger than the fighters lol.

Also, I don't know exactly what that

"<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Fighter, 5.8 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Bomber, 5.3 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Transport, 1.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Corvette, 10.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Frigate, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Capital, 30.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>

<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Super, 30.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>"

stuff is for. I'm guessing it's the distance at and beyond which the firing ship begins to suffer a penalty to accuracy? The larger the vessel, the easier it is to hit even if further away. However, if this is the case, they have the modifier applied wrong for frigates. Supers and Capitals are bigger (or supposed to be), yet the frigates have a much higher number.

Also, I've noticed something weird about actual damage, I'm still testing it. I d/l'ed a mod where the guy set all the weapon damage to 99999 on the imperial ships. (you have probly seen mods like this). I lowered the damage numbers and have played/tested with a wide range, setting it at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 99, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 999 and of course 99999. I really don't notice much of a difference, but it seems like I'm getting more in-game damage when it's between 10 - 50. Maybe there is a cap somewhere around 60 - 100? I just don't think it does any good to set it to 99k. I might set my tartans to 40 and try that.

Here's a screenie of me and some pals blowing up a corellian corvette on SWG (sorry it's not in one piece any more lol)

screenShot0061.jpg

You can see my friend's X-Wing is much smaller.

Yes, 0 to 4 is actually five hardpoints. Nice screen shot. ;)

The Frigates are balanced in game to be the counter to the Tartan (corvette class) so they have a larger Miss number at 70? That would be a game counter balance issue.

Distance away and size does affect hits (physics engine collision)...but that number is primary for the percentage of miss shots at a given set nominal distance. The Tartan would at distance miss 70% of its shots at a Frigate Class ship but only miss about 5% of its shots to a Fighter Class.

The Damage in the ship XML is actually only used by the AI to calculate Auto-Battle option in a given fight, and also what the AI considers the 'strength threat' of the ship.

I would make sure to change the 'real' damage done is in the Projectiles.xml, such as in the above example 'Proj_Ship_Medium_Laser_Cannon_Green' for example. Try to set THAT number to quite high and see if it does do a one_shot kill. :)

I hope that is the number which is changed, in Projectile.xml, not the normal ship.xml

Plus the other Major Factor you can set the "Armor Matrix" value so that the damage done to other "specific ships" is multiplied by a given number, so from Tartan 2x projectile damage verse X-Wing fighters armor to 100x.

Archived