Home

Need help

stoiss

Hello all..

me and a friend is looking for some cool coders who are in for help me and my team whit some codeing for our mod...

SOme info what we lake to make..

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

«Combat Evolved» Modification

Development Guidelines v1.1 (2007-02-08)

I. Concept

The following document describes basic features of the modification «Combat Evolved» for Jedi Academy. The mod attempts to improve especially movement and combat significantly.

Exaggerated jumping and slashing, say unrealistic movement, basically ruins the combat experience in Jedi Academy as we know it from the Star Wars movies. «Combat Evolved» rules off this unaesthetic kind of fighting and introduces a system based on a 360-degree view and two-dimensional movement in duels.

II. Basic Movement Ideas

Two-dimensional movement does not mean to move only forward, backward, up and down. It rather means to limit movement to the side by abstracting it to slow sidesteps. Striving for realism, it is furthermore essential for a great duel experience to wipe out overstated jumping as seen in the JK series and cut it down to the bone. There will be no jumping to the side and no nonsense jumping over a specific height. In FFA, players will use the free mouse look to set a direction and W / S to move there.

III. Sword fighting

By introducing sidesteps triggered by pressing A or D twice, it becomes possible to use these buttons to direct the sword to the left and the right while moving forward or backward and to block accordingly. Yes, blocking will (of course) be manual. There will be no automatic blocking. But let’s get into the details:

There will be four means of combat in «Combat Evolved»: Melee, evading, attacking and blocking.

Melee: Players will be able to perform fundamental punches, kicks and throws while the saber remains activated to make blocking possible. Throws require extremely precise timing and can be used to counteract melee and sword attacks.

Evading: Avoid being hit by anything and everything through ducking and jumping. Jumps are divided into a normal leap and one enhanced by the Force to jump over the enemy. Attacking while ducking will not be possible.

Attacking: «Combat Evolved» provides classic body target zones (1 - head, 2 - left arm, 3 - right arm, 4 - back, 5 - left leg, 6 - right leg). There will be two forms of attacking with a lightsaber:

Shii-Cho: The first form of the seven forms of lightsaber combat is wild, raw, and deadly, requiring much emotional heat. The Shii-Cho practitioner moves step by step and performs single strong hits. Form I enables the player to block every slash easily, but also leaves them unprotected after striking into space.

Makashi: The second form of the seven forms of lightsaber combat relies on timing, accuracy, and skill, rather than strength. It offers fast footwork and a quick, fluent and elegant fighting style. Blocking is difficult because it requires very accurate timing.

Switching the combat form during the game will not be possible. Combos for both styles are taken into consideration. Initially further forms (III – VII) will not be included, because Shii-Cho and Makashi are wonderfully controversial and sum up the other forms.

Blocking: To block a lightsaber attack, it is necessary to switch into the blocking mode (e.g. right mouse button) and move the saber into the attack’s direction using W, A, S and D. An attack from the right can only be blocked by blocking to the right and so on. All attacks aiming at the body target zones 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 can be blocked using both Shii-Cho and Makashi.

IV. Overall Enhancements

Of course game mechanics, menus, graphics and sounds will be tweaked as well as minor issues.

Mechanics: There will be one hit kills. If you don’t block an attack and get hit by your opponent’s sword you will die. Full stop. According to the body target zone that was being hit you will lose an arm, a leg or your head. If you are being hit slightly, you will lose an immense amount of health points and start vanishing, say losing health points constantly. Possibly there will be longer sword contacts as we know them from the movies if you block a very strong Shii-Cho attack.

Graphics: Lightsabers will not have trails. All models and levels are extremely detailed. Animations are much more realistic, introducing vivid opening and ground stances for both Shii-Cho and Makashi. There will be no blood or anything similar. Effects of colliding swords are not as over-exaggerated as in JA.

Sound: Unlike JA, «Combat Evolved» will make the lightsaber whir continuously. All sounds will fit to the movements the player performs with the lightsaber and be taken directly from the movies.

Hope to here from you

what your describing reminds me a bit of how OJP was in the beginning except for the 360 view. It was very "attack, block, walk, and fake" style combat but it just too hard to balance offense against defense and their wasn't enough in the system to keep people interested. The melee part sounds interesting, but with the way you describe the blocking, you'll be hard pressed to make defense balanced against offense and keep both sabers flying back and forth like they are in the movies.

In OJP enhanced, our "autoblock" is actually a normal hit does alot of Dodge points (DP) damage (once your out of DP, the next hit is fatal or Severely damaging) and our parries are the equivalent of what would be solid block because parries reduce the amount of DP damage from the hit by a ton. The problem with having hits do health damage without blocking is that it makes the fights too slow whenyour up close because every move can kill you or hurt you, or just look silly because you just got hit with a lightsaber without dying! :p So just keep these things in mind as you plan your system.

As far as coders here, I'm pretty code stupid at starting from scratch and the knowledge I do have I'm using to modify OJP Enhanced with little time for other things. Razorace most likely wont be interested because he has a real game coding job now and is desperately trying to finish OJP enhanced with the time he does have. Ensiform just doesnt like saber combat so I don't think he'll be interested. Robo might be interested, but I havent seen him around much. Lathain can code pretty well too, but I'm not sure if he'll be up for a another new saber system. You might want to ask Emiel at MB2 as well since he's a great sabersystem coder, but I'm sure he has alot on his plate.

Well, good luck. And I hope to see you playing enhanced from time to time. ;)

Archived