Home

Modding help ...

MiladyRevan

I'm totally new at this forum, as well as modding. I think I've managed to download all the tools I need for modding KOTOR and TSL. I've managed to mod a few items (armors, blasters, implants, etc) in small scale, but now I have a problem:

I want to add the stuff I modded into the locker on the Endar Spire, in the crew quarters, where you get the first basic items. The problem is, I don't know how. Could someone please help me?

First of all, welcome to the forums, Milady :)

I would recommend spawning the items onto the locker, using a script attached to the first dialogue with Trask.

You will need to find a line of dialogue which has a box for script names which is blank. You write the name of the script in the blank box provided on the dialogue, so that the script will fire when that particular line is said in the game :)

As to the script itself, the scripting section here should be of use in regards to this - off the top of my head I can't think of a script to do this, but I'm not much of a scripter, sorry.

Alternatively, if you open up KotOR Tool, and go KotOR I-->RIMs-->end_m01aa-->placeables and find the footlocker placeable, provided it has a unique identifier as a name (not just 'placeable1.utp' or something - if that's so then it will probably mean your items will be in footlockers all over the game...), then double-click it, then click the 'Inventory' button, fill in the little set of columns with whichever items you wish to add just like you would do with a .2da file, then click 'OK' and then save the file, then when you are done, put it in the Override folder with everything else :)

Hope that's helpful...

Anyhow, welcome, and good luck :)

As far as I remember the starting locker where you can pick up your gear does have a fairly generic name (footlker001.utp or something like that), so putting it in the override folder directly would not be advisable.

Still, if you want to avoid scripting and/or dialog editing you can add extract this file with KotorTool from the Endare Spire Command Module and edit its inventory with KotorTool to add your custom gear. Then, instead of saving it in the override folder, put the modified footlker001.utp file back into the end_m01aa_s.rim file (make a backup copy of this RIM file first in case something goes wrong or you want to undo your changes!).

If you put it in the module it belongs it won't affect other placeable containers with the same filename elsewhere in the game (which would happen if you put it in the override folder).

Okay, I managed to find and extract the footlker001 file, but I can't change the inventory. And I can't find a way to add my own stuff.

BTW, thanks for the welcoming. :)

Open the locker template with KotorTool and press the Inventory button to open the inventory editor. Since the KotorTool editor won't let you add custom-made items to the container directly you will have to first add one of the standard items.

So just drag any of the standard items into the inventory list box (doesn't matter what item it is). Then select the text in the ResRef column for this item and type in the name of the UTI file containing your item instead (without the .uti extension). Repeat for as many items as you want to add to the container inventory.

When you are done press OK and then Save and put the footlker001.utp file somewhere outside the override folder for now.

Next find the end_m01aa_s.rim file inside your Modules folder. Make a copy of it and put the copy somewhere else for safekeeping. Then open the original end_m01aa_s.rim file with a RIM Editor (The one linked to in my signature should work for this) and use it to add your modified UTP file into the RIM file, replacing the one that's already there. Save changes to the RIM file, and everything should hopefully work.

(Also make sure the UTI template files for your new items are located in the override folder.)

Archived