Home

[K1] NPC Selection sound file

SykoRevan

Which file contains the sounds the party members make when selected? (for example, when you select the player character, they say "yeah" or "what," which is like the only time the player PC is heard talking in-game.)

This is set in the character data (UTC file) for the party members in the SoundSetFile field. The number here is a reference to the soundset.2da file.

The soundset.2da file in turn contains links to SSF (Soundset) files. The resref column contains the name of the SSF file (without the .ssf suffix).

The SSF file in turn is a table with a collection of "event" slots (such as Attack, Die, Open Lock, disarm mine etc) with a corresponding StrRef that refers to the dialog.tlk file for each sound event. It essentially tells the game "what this happens in the game, use this strref".

Finally, the dialog.tlk file holds a reference to the sound file to play and any subtitle text associated with that sound (usually not shown).

So, how would I replace certain sound files? I'm looking to replace T3's selection sound files with other ones. I've already replaced the .wav files for him in streamwaves, but couldn't find the selection sound files, so when I click his portrait in-game, he makes his original sound, but when I talk to him, he uses my sound files I replaced his old ones with. I was hoping the selection sound files were in the streamsounds or streamwaves folders, but I couldn't find them (unless I overlooked them). How would I go simply replacing T3's selection sounds with another .wav file?

EDIT: I think I found the .wav files I was looking for in sounds.bif, which are named "p_t3-m4_slct*.wav" where the *is a number from 1 to 3. Do I just put my .wav files in the Override with those names, or do I have to do something else?

Archived