Home

Need help to get Jedi Knight to work in WinXP

riconoz

G'day, I'm new to this forum, so yes, at present I'm a 'Noob'! :)

Anyway, I was wondering if someone here could help me to get DFII Jedi Knight working in WinXP.

Basically, the problem is this: I can install the programme no prob., I can start the programme no prob., I can even watch the cutscenes (the opening one + ones saved from a previous saved player profiles), no prob.s, what I can't do though is actually get the game to start.

Each time I click on "New Game", a box appears below it as it should, but there's no episode listed in it, and when I click in the box the game crashes, dumping me into the OS; if I just L click on the "OK" button, I receive a critical error message in a black screen, which states: "Unable to load the 'xxxxxxx', it may be missing, already in use or corrupted." (the 'xxxxx' actually being a line of squares - obviously a corrupted name), after which I find myself back at the "New Game"/"Load" screen. If i try to load a game from a previous saved player profile (which I had saved in Win98SE), the saved game is listed as an "invalid save game" on the right, again with a corrupted name - BUT, the cutscenes work from that player profile!!!

I've read numerous troubleshooting methods, and have tried a few, but to no avail:

1. I installed JK in normal mode, same prob.

2. I installed in Safe Mode and then restarted Win and started JK again after rebooting, same prob.

3. I installed JK into my user specific folder (Docs & Settings, etc), which is an administrator account, again, same prob.

4. I tried to install JK into (almost) the default directory, but same prob (everything was the same as the one th game installation suggests, but not in Programme Files, just in C:\Lucas Arts\...).

5. I tried playing JK in compatability mode, both Win95 and 98, same prob.

6. I tried moving across both the autoexec.nt and config.nt files from the repair folder into the System32 folder, same prob. (I ensured that the contents of both complied with the advice given by MS at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B324767).

7. I've tried turning off Internet Security, same prob.

8. I've tried playing in 640x480, and in fact all of the settings 640x480 up in JK Graphics Settings (both with 3D option ticked and it not): same deal.

9. I've tried turning off 3D acceleration in the set up features, and turning it on again (all of the settings correspond to those of my video adaptor), as I have with backbuffering video in system memory option: same prob.

10. I looked at the Intel website to see if my adaptor supported JK: JK wasn't mentioned but seeing as it supported JK2, it should (I'm assuming) support JK.

So you see, I'm at a loss - any suggestions anyone?

By the way, here's my system set up:

JK v1.00 (nothing but the original software installed - no mods)

WinXP Pro SP1

DirectX: 9.0c

Various Software Programmes, incl Firewall & etc

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A-10

CPU: Celeron 2GHz

Physical RAM: 512Mb

Video Adapter Type: Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller

Driver Version: 6.13.10.3514

Video RAM: 15-64Mb (Variable)

HDD: 20Gb

Thanks,

riconoz

hmm this is a strange problem but i wanna say its a Windows problem and not JK since JK runs fine on XP... except your copy for some reason

try updateing XP to the full... like go to windows update and get everything you NEED

you cant really load games from other computers... its kinda screwy so dont bother that way

but try windows update that might fix it :smash:

Verify that there is a jk1.gob file in the Episode folder (for example, C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Episode), and that it is about 34 MB. The errors occur when there are no single player gobs in that folder. Maybe the file is read-only and JK needs other access attributes.

You could try manually installing JK.

I have copied and used successfully JK player profiles from a Win98SE PC to a WinXP PC and vice-versa. Both PCs had the same JK files installed on them.

I will try to duplicate the problem on my XP PC (which runs JK just fine).

Note that running Windows XP without SP2 installed is a huge security risk. It is pretty much guaranteed that without SP2 installed, your PC will be infected with all kinds of viruses within a few minutes after connecting to the Internet. Perhaps, a virus is making JK unplayable.

:)

Verify that there is a jk1.gob file in the Episode folder (for example, C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\Episode), and that it is about 34 MB. The errors occur when there are no single player gobs in that folder. Maybe the file is read-only and JK needs other access attributes.

I have copied and used successfully JK player profiles from a Win98SE PC to a WinXP PC and vice-versa. Both PCs had the same JK files installed on them.

Note that running Windows XP without SP2 installed is a huge security risk. It is pretty much guaranteed that without SP2 installed, your PC will be infected with all kinds of viruses within a few minutes after connecting to the Internet. Perhaps, a virus is making JK unplayable.

Zeq he wasnt talking about player profles he was talking about SAVED GAMES

they wont work if they are transfered :smash:

Hmmm, upon checking the Episode folder, in fact none of the *.gob files were there ...

When I actually tried to manually copy them across into the Episode folder, I was able to copy across the other 2 .gob files, but upon trying to copy across JK1.gob, I received 2 error messages:

1st: "Cannot copy JK1: Invalid MS-DOS function".

2nd: "Cannot copy JK1: Data error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)" - this one happened most of the time.

Obviously, I haven't been able to copy it across ...

Arrrgh! This is frustrating! :mad2:

To be honest, I'm not sure how the file has become corrupted (if it has), seeing as I've taken care of the CDs ....

Sigh ...

Any suggestions?

Regarding the issue of upgrading to SP2 (and this is for JKLE_Cougar too): I was under the impression that SP2 didn't like older games, and have read numerous complaints regarding it (hence the reason why I haven't installed it so far).

As to the question regarding the updates that would be "necessary" to play JK in WinXP, do you have an idea which ones I'd definitely need?

As for viruses: altho not having SP2 has admittedly made my system more vulnerable, I would have assumed having Norton's I'net Sec + numerous other s'ware would have prevented my system catching them or any other malware (or at least would have caught them but detected and then eliminated them) ... and thus eliminated the problem of viruses &c. At least, I haven't detected any viruses and malware....... (fingers crossed!) :)

By the way, I've upgraded my DirectX to 9.0c, if it matters! :)

well it dont matter for JK and SP2

JK is not THAT old... i have Media Center with SP2 and JK works fine for me

could you try copying the GOB files from the 98 to the XP? that could possibly work

as for updates there arent really any updates unless you use a joystick there is a 1.01 patch out there but thats all it really does

hey if you ever do get JK to work come to my clans website and we will have a game or 2 with you! its in my signature :)

well it dont matter for JK and SP2

JK is not THAT old... i have Media Center with SP2 and JK works fine for me

could you try copying the GOB files from the 98 to the XP? that could possibly work

as for updates there arent really any updates unless you use a joystick there is a 1.01 patch out there but thats all it really does

hey if you ever do get JK to work come to my clans website and we will have a game or 2 with you! its in my signature :)

"not THAT old" heh heh! :):nod: I am surprised tho you can play JK1 with SP2 ...

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, I've finally been able to get the b----y thing working on my laptop!!!! Yay!!!

It seems that the problem was in fact a corrupted JK1.gob file .. very strange ....

Solution (for anyone else out there):

What I did was goto CD2, which actually had many of the same files on it, so what I did was copy the much needed file across into the required folder on my HDD, so now the thing works a treat! No media issues apart from grainy and at time blocky video clips during the game.

Of course, I've now made a back up of all of the files, in case anything like this happens again ... grrrr! :)

Just so that people know, the folder title (Episode) is exactly the same for CD2 as it is for CD1, as are its contents ... this is for other folders as well (as much as I have seen them so far) ....

ZeqMacaw: good idea with manual installation - it set me off on the right track, cheers!!! :cheers:

JKLE_Cougar: good idea with copying across from the 98 to XP. Now, if only I had kept that old box .... :) Also, I'm afraid my jedi duelling skills are a little rusty at present – although I once used to be a gun sniper, even if I do say so myself! :) Maybe in the future when I get broadband I'll give you a game- yes, that's right, due to being in a broadband shadow where my flat is, I'm still stuck on the ole dial up!!!! (One of the probs for IT in Australia, unlike you lucky bastards in the US!) Thanks for the offer tho! However, at uni I do have access to high speeds using my laptop, but I'm not sure how I can bypass the thought police!!!!

Anyway, speaking of media files, does anyone know how to convert *.smk video files so that they can be played in Windows Media Player? Or to at least capture the video clips as they're being played in a playable format?

Another question: regarding JK Enhanced ... in order to prepare the game for JKE, do you need to install al of the unofficial updates in chronological order, or only the last one? Also, will saved games from the original game work in the "enhanced" version?

Although the answer to your JKE questions should be answered (at least indirectly) in the JKE readme file or in the JKE project forum on the Hub, I will answer it here because you have actually written intelligently instead of coming across like an untrained 12-year-old (as most others do).

You only need to install the JK Unofficial Patch (JKUP) that was included with JKE or the latest JKUP. Please follow the JKUP instructions in the included txt file; many have messed up JK by not following the instructions first. (Don't worry; you can easily fix a messed up installation of JKUP by just copying the original jk.exe from a backup.)

Yes, saved games will work correctly in JKE. JKE is only a visual upgrade, so it does not affect anything like saved games or gameplay.

I don't know about converting smk files, but there is probably a YouTube video of all the live JK cutscenes spliced together. Also, you can use The RAD Video Tools to view the smk files.

By the way, the second CD for JK has many of the same files on it for the explicit reason of allowing a second PC to play multiplayer; this is mentioned somewhere in the JK manual.

It is good to know that you got JK to work.

yes you can convert them with that program EXCEPT that they will be huge and have no sound... but with movie maker you can import those files and record the sound and place it in the file and save it as a wmv... it will also be alot smaller this way ;)

I actually saved it as one big video it was over a half an hour long and i think around 103 m.b. so im not so sure you want me to send it to you over dial up :lol:

Also thats the beautiful thing about JK it will work on Dial up i was playing last summer on dial up :p if you want to try it out we are here for ya man :D

Archived