Home

Game Crash with NVidia 6800 256mb

niftybalzac

I've been having a persistent problem, first with the game Company of Heroes and recently with Empire at War. I'll start up the game and it will play fine and then all of a sudden these green lines cross the screen and the game/system locks up. I've included a screenshot of the green lines (I apologize for the crappiness of the picture...since the system locks up I had to take it with my camera phone).

This happens at random points in the game. The other night I was playing for about an hour before it happened. Tonight it happened pretty much minutes after starting a game. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the crash.

I tried the fix for the Nvidia 6800 128mb video card thinking that it might help out my problem even though I have the 256mb card but no go.

I'm running Win XP, on a P4 processor. I have an Nvidia 6800 256mb card and a Soundblaster X-FI sound card. I have 1gig of RAM also.

If there's any other info needed, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

greenscreen.jpg

I updated the drivers after it happened with EAW the first time. Still happening.

I even made made sure DirectX was updated.

As for the Nvidia 6800 thread you posted, in my initial post I said I had already tried that to be safe but it still didn't work.

Thanks for trying. Any other suggestions? Could it just be a bad card?

Guest DarthMaulUK

please post a dx diag now.

Click start

run

then type dxdiag (as i have typed it, all lower case no spaces)

hit enter

wait a while

then copy and paste the first page

and the DISPLAY page

DMUK

Here you go. I think I got all that you needed:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/27/2007, 16:53:43

Machine name: JOHN-DESKTOP

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD

System Model: MS-7211

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 220MB used, 3776MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 6800 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0045&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: ViewSonic Q19wb

Monitor Max Res: 1440,900

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9424 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/19/2007 13:26:00, 4543616 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: No

WHQL Date Stamp: None

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

Mini VDD Date: 4/19/2007 13:26:00, 3988384 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4305-11CF-6047-0A2000C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0045

SubSys ID: 0x00000000

Revision ID: 0x00A1

Revision ID: 0x00A1

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

Deinterlace Caps: {212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

I'm playing the game at 1152 x 864 (60mhz) resolution by the way. I don't think I included that above.

Also, I noticed it never seems to happen during the space portion of the game...only on the ground battles.

EDIT: I went back to the Nvidia site on a whim and saw that they released a new driver yesterday. I installed that and rebooted hoping it would fix the issue, but no luck. Same issue persists.

Just tried it at 1024x768 (60mhz) and got the same thing. About a minute or two into a ground mission.

I had this problem with Company of Heroes from time to time before and since have bought new RAM, a new motherboard and processor (I needed those anyway :) and a new sound card. Over the past week or two I started getting it with EAW so it's definitely not about the game. I'm thinking at this point, after trying all this it has to be the video card. At this point what else could it be?

Thanks so much for all the help, DMUK...if you can think of anything else it might be or anything else to try please let me know.

Guest DarthMaulUK

hmm this is extremely odd. there must be some software or something.

Have you tried the video card on a different PC? Also, if you've purchased more RAM, new processor/motherboard etc, did you upgrade your power unit? The power wont be the direct cause, but something to think about when upgrading.

Do you have daemon tools or any virtual dvd software in the background? If so, turn this off, or remove it. Then try re-installing the game. Also, make sure you have all the patches for Empire at War http://www.lucasfiles.com

I would also grab the latest version of direct x9c from the microsoft website. then keep fingers crossed!

I don't have another PC I can put the card into, have upgraded the power supply and also have the latest version of DirectX9c. I also don't have any of the software that you mentioned running in the background so I'm truly stumped as well. I can try reinstalling the game but I'll almost guarantee you that won't help at all as I did that a few times with Company of Heroes and the issue still persisted. So I think it might be a problem with the video card itself.

Guest DarthMaulUK

it might be the card but if you know someone where you can test it. Try some other games, especially newer ones to see if it happens still. Download a demo of something. I used to have the same card but was lucky not to experience any problems.

When installing all the new stuff, did you clean your PC? Sometimes this can create problems, especially when they are not cleaned properly :( ie - someone is heavy handed on components

It could also be the processor. It might be new but it could also be faulty. Worth checking other things first. Maybe removing a stick of RAM (unless you only have 1 of course). Graphic cards arent cheap, so best to try other stuff first

As I mentioned before it was happening on Company of Heroes first and then recently with EAW. I believe CoH is a few years newer than EAW.

It's not the processor because it was happening with my old one as well (on Company of Heroes) and same with my older RAM. The RAM was the first thing I purchased as I thought that was the problem.

I've since reformatted my hard drive (not necessarily due to this issue) and it was happening before and after the reformatting.

I noticed I had PowerISO installed and it ran with startup. I guess this might fall into a "daemon tool" category so I'm going to try removing it from startup and doing the reinstall. I'll keep you posted on this baffling issue lol

Thanks so much

I think so too. I took my computer to PC Club when I upgraded the motherboard and processor and had them install it all and run the stress tests and such (this was a couple of weeks ago) but they said the hardware was all good. And it is...except when running these two games!! lol

I reinstalled the game and it let me play a couple of space battles and then I got gutsy and tried a ground battle. I went along for a good 10 minutes and I thought the problem was solved...but alas, the crash came back.

Guest DarthMaulUK

it is really odd. maybe they did something to your card. but try the things i mentioned first, just to make sure :)

DMUK

No it was happening before on CoH on the old motherboard and processor and RAM as well with this same card. So it's been happening, just not to this game as far as I can remember. The only constant is the card itself...I've tried pretty much everything including cleaning the old drivers out before reinstalling new ones, taking the card out and cleaning it thoroughly and reseating it. At this point I have to think it's the card.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Hmm. what brand is the card? I'm hearing about EGVA cards and a 'design flaw' - mostly on their 7 series though.

Guest DarthMaulUK

hmm. that is hot. have you tried extra ventilation? Removing the side of the case? or if your PC is under a desk, or tucked in somewhere tight, give it an area to breathe?

I do keep it under my desk, it's really the only place to keep it. The desk is wide open on the sides and back though and I often have a fan blowing right on it. So it doesn't seem couped up at all.

The only thing I haven't tried, I guess, is to open up the side of the computer. The only thing I would be worried about there is a ton of dust getting in and clogging up what I'm trying to cool down :) I'll give that a try and see if it cools it at all.

Guest DarthMaulUK

hmmm. it might be worth having a clean. but be careful. dont use polish, just get a fine paint brush and dust the fans etc then vaccum the dust up. But I think you need to try your card on a different PC with the same games to see if it still happens, if it does, then it will be the card. :(

Archived