Home

Which of the big mods is the truest to lore ("realistic")?

Glabro

((Caution: If this feels like a wall of text, the question in the title is enough to answer on :))

Now that a good amount of time has passed since the release of the game, I´d like to know if any of the released mods share my ideas about changing EAW gameplay. I´ve dabbled with the XML files, and can of course add features myself, but I´d like a base that´s closest to my goals.

The release infos for all these mods seem to focus on a load of new units (less consequential to me) while usually not talking about the realism/balancing changes much at all.

(If you didn´t get what the hell I just babbled in the last few paragraphs, never you mind, let´s cut to the chase here :)

What I´m looking for:

- A close matching of EU canon (I´m accepting things like the X-Wing series here) statistics for starships and vehicles

(correct weapons, shields, speeds and other abilities, also correct attributes of all weapons etc.)

- A removal of all needless rock-paper-scissors crap - for example, I want the corvette´s lasers to do an equal amount of damage to anything it shoots - I don´t want its damage to be tripled against starfighters! All balancing of this sort should happen naturally because of the ship´s normal statistics. ACCURACY should be the only thing affected by different targets.

- A rough balancing and pricing of the above

- A removal of all in-battle spawning - carriers should be able to launch their full complement (the canon numbers, again), and not produce any more during the battle. Ditto for ground barracks and turrets & such - they are needless RTS relics. Speaking of carriers, Rebel ships should have a complement too (naturally of reduced strength)

- More realism in general : blasters should be deadly in ground combat, not just drain away the life bar vs infantry, but VERY inaccurate (can manage this side myself). Also, to compensate, more men per platoon. (The Star Wars firefight feeling comes from a bunch of soldiers wildly firing at each other and missing a lot, but each occasional hit dropping a combatant - not having each damned blaster bolt hit the target but require 40 shots to kill one guy).

This should, of course, translate over to space combat (fighters, for example).

- Reworked tech tree, to match canon lore better

- A unit of major importance is not included in EAW - namely the Imperial Infantry! While it can be imagined the prestigious stormtroopers take care of the critical ops that the EAW land battles are representative of, it´d be nice to actually field infantry platoons. (I actually have this and the Imperial Plex team done, as one of the rebel soldier skins fits them well, but just wanted to mention...)

After all this, everything extra is just gravy.

So, which mod would be closest to what I´d want?

Hmm. The project page didn´t go into much detail about the gameplay changes.

It looks very interesting, though, but how do you think PR relates to my arguments in the initial post, Chandler?

Of course, I am willing to join a mod team and help to realize them myself.

We feature pretty much every point except for the ground ones, which simply aren't done yet. You can try out the mini-mod, but keep in mind, it's four months old and the next release will accommodate you better. Also there's just tons of info on our forums if you have the time to browse through them.

Superb. Then I will be eagerly expecting the result - finally EAW like it was meant to be!

I can always add in the little touches I want myself (like Imperial Infantrymen). I reckon the ground combat is a tad challenging to balance out the e more realistic-looking combat (lasers flying wildly around, the occasional hit dropping one guy out of MANY etc.)

I had an idea that infantry would be utterly disposable,costing very little in credits, with the population cap being the main limiter. So, the basic assumption would be that the ground troops are infantry, you have to pay for everything else - which takes away from your navy budget.

Archived