Home

Hey, you know how theres 200 unit capacity per side?

Guest IwantGBGnow!

Guest IwantGBGnow!

Well, I know this isnt realistic. The fastest CPU couldnt track them all cause theres so many colors and animations. And they would be enourmously expensive and take a VERY long time to build.

But.......Imagine the look on someones face seeing 200 AT-ATs heading toward their base.

hey Iwantgbnow,

first off: welcome here. enjoy the stay.

second: the 200 population limit per civ is in the AOK-engine that the game is based on. without any really radical changes, that will remain so.

the system requirements for GB are pretty low if you look at what the average computer is nowadays, and such a system can handle 200 units per civ with ease. With such ease in fact, that i mentioned in another thread that they might want to consider enhancing the pop limit.

maybe they will, but those 200 At-At's can be happening in the game as it stands now.

Now before you go all wild, let me digress... ;)

You have to keep villagers of some kind to work an economy that provides you with the resources to build those AT-AT's in the first place. Those villagers are included in the pop limit.

But you can get 200 ATAT's by saving up resources, then deleting your villagers and making those ATAT's. It would take a loooong time, though, because i can imagine ATAT's are some of the most expensive units in the game.

Guest aoerana

On gamespot there was a review that mentions the pop limit may be set higher for BG. I may have been dreaming, but I'll go back an read the reviews to make sure.

Originally posted by aoerana

On gamespot there was a review that mentions the pop limit may be set higher for BG. I may have been dreaming, but I'll go back an read the reviews to make sure.

Ok, go..go read! :)

Welcome!

Guest Tie Guy

Yes, the more the better, how can you argue with that?

I don't know if 200 AT-ATs would be that practicle though, but it sure would be fun. :D

Guest Master Yoda

They probably wouldnt be able to stand an attack from 200 SnowSpeeders which probably are fairly cheap so you could keep throwing 200 at them while they have to wait to build because there broke from building so many AT-ATs...

Guest Tie Guy

And they'd take you out while you tried to build all those huge things. Since you wouldn't have any money for defenses.

Guest IwantGBGnow!

Or 50 Antiair tanks to take out the snowspeeders, and 150 AT-ATs.

No defenses? Just a few antiairs and AT-ATs would hold the line while the others were built.

The AoK can handle a lot of unit's (when playing with 8 players on pop-limit 200 you have 1600 units in game). Altough playing with a lot of units slows things down when you're computer isn't that fast, it can handle pretty much. One of the reasons for that is that the game uses (hold on) 256 colors ... it isn't even 16 bit.

A game like GB shows that you don't need all that fancy stuff to have a nice-looking game that you can enjoy immensely. The latest screenshots in particular show nice use of color, and i could care less about the difference between 256 and millions of 'em. I played Rebellion a lot, and it's the same deal there; i didn't play it for it's graphics.

Hmmm... I'd certainly like the unit limit to be set much higher than 200 per side. That was one of the most annoying things about AoE and AoK for me.

Cossacks is capable of displaying up to 8000 with no slow-down. I think with the requirements for Battlegrounds so low, there should at least be the option for players with higher-spec machinse to increase the population limit.

the only way of building AT-AT's( which will take a huge chruch of you stockpiles!) Is 1.)The use of codes,or 2.) If you have a lot of patience. I hope they do raise the pop limit. Possable a limit to 800 per player? you would be able to raise a real army with that pop limit!:D :D :D. It would be the easiest way of saying explode

I always play with a pop 75 limit. That might seem low, but the game is balanced for that. A bit more than half of that would be economical use (villagers, fisching ships, trade carts) and the rest army. If I'd play with a pop limit of 200 I'd have to manage more than 100 villies to support my army, and I don't want that. Besides, when my army isn't that big, I'm sure my enemies isn't that big either. Also ... after a battle, try to rebuild an army of 100 units, i't takes a looong time (and you might not have that time)

You can't compare AoK to Cossacks, it's a different game. Noticed the unit production in Cossacks? It's very fast. Cossacks won't be fun on a low pop limit, AoK is.

Guest Master Yoda

I use 200 pop in AOK and I normally have only about 50-60 villagers, If its a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG game i might need more but most of the time the games quick enough that i dont need more than that.

Archived