Home

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Recommendations. Bonus: Rhett Ramble Included!

Boba Rhett

Since the dawn of man we have strived to reach seemingly unreachable goals in our short lives. It is indeed a rare and glorious thing when one completes these goals. I am a man at the very cusp of attaining my own. I dream of a world where one must never again leave their couch to do such menial things like sit at a...ugh... desk to play a pc game. I have circumvented all other issues* in the way of me reaching this nirvana but there is one that still irks me. One that sours the delicate wine that is my mighty work.

My projector has an hdmi input. My laptop has an hdmi output. After weeks of exhaustive study, fasting and prayer I have determined that this means they should be connected. Nay, they must be unioned. Festooned together in an unholy matrimony that shall surely bring about the ends of all men that dare not unabashedly testify to its glory.

I have the tech. I have the cables. I have the iron-fast will that undoubtedly will be required. What I do not have are the fifteen foot arms required to work my laptop while taking advantage of my projector screen. This is where you come in! I'd like to find a keyboard/mouse combo that will work just fine at, say, 15 feet. Anyone have experience or at least some recommendations on some long rangers?

*= I'm having my butt sewn shut this Thursday. That should work, right?

welcome to my world Mr Rhettski. Cool wireless keyboards for a-v setups is just the type of stuff a htpc'er(like moi) can wax on endlessly about >> It is also a question we get asked alot at the other forum I 'work' at :p

Here are some choices:

1. MS Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000

mk_largerview_wed8k.jpg

*2.4GHz Bluetooth

*Backlit keys

*Rechargeable Mouse and Keyboard

*Slim and futuristic lookin

*Vista Media Center Launch button and media control buttons. Even without the mouse, there is a mini touchpad you can use for point n click (I have one for my main htpc)

Cons!

*Weird(for some) touch only buttons(function keys)

*Shape not 100% ergonomic

2. Logotech Di Novo Edge

470.1.0.jpg

*Sleek, slim, stylish - made of plexiglass!

*Touchpad for cursor control

*lovely stand to sit it up on for display and recharge

*Media Control Keys

Cons:

*No number pad buttons

3. Logitech Di Novo Media Desktop Laser

384.1.0.jpg

*Sorta Pretty, "Ultra Flat"

*Lots of media functionality

*media pad can act as a remote

Cons

*No number pad buttons, on a separate add on bit, which some find annoying (media pad)

4. Logitech DiNovo Mini

5818.1.0.jpg

*compact, pretty, has a lid!

*bluetooth

*integrated touchpad

Cons:

*not good for dudes with big hands :p

5. Adesso SlimTouch Wireless 2.4 GHz RF Mini Touchpad Keyboard

WKB-4000US.jpg

*Sorta like a laptop without a screen

*2.4GHz RF tech

*Got one in me bedroom for the bedroom htpc :p

Cons:

*You have to be a touchpad fan I guess :D

Adesso have some other cool wifi keyboards you can check out

Special Mention, Not a keyb, but still cool

6. Logitech Mx Air Mouse

1490.1.0.jpg

*Can use as mouse, remote or pointer!

*rechargeable

Cons:

*Is not a keyb :p

Have fun mang :D

I can testify to #2. This post was typed using it. It is very sweet. Love the design and feel of the low profile keystrokes. One other downside I will disclose though is that the "touch-to-click" ability on the touchpad cannot be disabled, which is a shame since it has two other "left-click" buttons on the keyboard and certainly doesn't need the touch-to-click also. Some people have found it to have too much sensitivity. (I use the keyboard along side a G5 mouse so I'm unaffected.)

Archived