Home

not quite working under Vmware Fusion 2.0

Korny

Hi folks - I posted this in the Vmware forums, but thought someone here might also have some ideas...

I'm running Vmware Fusion 2.0 (116369) on a MacBook, trying to run Grim Fandango (patched).

I've tried several different combinations of guests and settings, and I keep getting the same message:

"Grim Fandango could not initialize your hardware!" / "Please make sure you are not running any DirectX apps that take exclusive control of your hardware"

Any thoughts on what to try? Are there any directx options or the like that might help? Someone on another thread had the same error when their sound-card driver was broken, so I'm assuming it's in the sound somewhere...

Note Vmware these days emulates a *lot* of hardware - for example it runs Civ4 with only minor glitches - but maybe it can't handle old-school programs that demand exclusive hardware locks ...

So far I've tried:

Windows XP guest

Windows 98 guest

Directx 9 installed and "emulate 3d" ticked

Directx 6.1 installed

Full screen mode

Running the Grim Fandango custom launcher and running in windowed mode

I also tried running win98 guest and not installing VMware Tools, in case it was a problem with VMware Tools, but I couldn't get the display out of 16-colour mode, which meant the game refused to start.

Any thoughts, folks?

- Korny

welcome to the boards!

I cant help you with VM ware, but I had alot of luck with Microsofts free to use Virtual PC

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6

I used it for an old game that needs vesa 2 support and such things, worked good enough.

Its some work, but I see you know what you are doing and that should work out

Archived