Home

Strange Model Problem

Sithspecter

I'm having a very strange model problem. I have had this occur before, and I have no idea how to solve it. Lately, every time I've exported a new item model, this problem, in some form or another, has plagued me.

Model:

screw_up06.jpg

The problem takes place in-game, a random sort of texture or geometry seems to appear in some places on the model. Here is an example of the general gist of the texture/geom.

screw_up01.jpg

The black spot is what keeps coming up. Except, it sometimes changes colors if I minimize KotOR, change modules, or something of that nature. Here are a few examples of the radical color change.

screw_up02.jpg

screw_up03.jpg

screw_up04.jpg

Here is a picture of the UV map and texture. There is nothing whatsoever that looks anything like the thing in the last three pictures.

screw_up05.jpg

I have tried detaching, cloning, exporting in mesh or poly, using MDLOps 5 and 6. I even reverted back to NWMax 7 and all to no improvement. If someone has had this occur before, I would definitely love to hear of a solution.

Also, would someone please be kind enough to test this and see if it happens on other PC’s. If you’re interested, PM me your email, and I will ship it to you right away. It's in K1, BTW.

Odd, I did often had some stretching, misplacement to my UVWs.

Though this didn't always help and I had to redo the whole thing...

Seems its best to only apply UVWmaps after conver to Mesh and the resetxform thing. The reset has often 'killed" things for me.

Though this didn't always help and I had to redo the whole thing...

But this looks a bit like it, though I never had the weird coloring stuff...

And I just know you know what you're doing in 3D.

Hmmzz, just an odd idea, have you tried using Kaurora, to compile the model.

See if this problem crops up again, then you would be more certain its a fault in the model itself and not MDLops.

Do expect a game crash, Kaurora doesn't handle the animation part needed for the game, but it might point to well... Mesh fault or export weirdness.

Bewildering things you come up with lately SS.

Odd, I did often had some stretching, misplacement to my UVWs.

Hmmzz, just an odd idea, have you tried using Kaurora, to compile the model.

See if this problem crops up again, then you would be more certain its a fault in the model itself and not MDLops.

I have had some misplacement with the UVW's, but I got that all worked out, and then I did use KAurora, but the problem was still there and it did crash. :)

Maybe I just will have to do things all over again... :(

Bewildering things you come up with lately SS.

Quite...

I have had some misplacement with the UVW's, but I got that all worked out, and then I did use KAurora, but the problem was still there and it did crash. :)

Have you tried without adding any texture, see if the problem remains on the white model aswell.

Maybe I just will have to do things all over again... :(

Yeah, that sucks, but often thats the more easier way, then losing time on a search of what could be the problem.

Have you tried without adding any texture, see if the problem remains on the white model aswell.

Well, I tried flipping the problem polies upside down so that maybe that would fix it, and it was still there, so I think that it would still be there, but I can try.

Tried, and it's still there.

Edit: I was able to re-model it well enough that I can use the same texture, and the problem does not occur anymore (Yay!). This thread can be closed if necessary.

Archived