Home

need help with Psyk0Sith tutorial

sms8080

I followed Psyk0Sith tutorial on his site, and first of all its a great tutorial. I'm just having some problems with my model though and I've tried a long time to fix it so now I'm resorting to this forum. I took someone else's model and modding it.

First problem is when wielding dual sabers, the left one is on the top of his hand and pointing in the wrong direction, although on multiplayer it is held correctly. Secondly the hands are distorted and stretched when in the game very weird.

It looks like a Xform issue from 3d studio max but I even collapsed the mesh pieces and xformed like three times and re-weighted but still it won't go away. I have no clue how to fix it.

It seems to only be affecting the left hand, right hand and the left arm. The arm looks bent kind of strange. This seems to only happen in SOME of the animations such as the one in the intro when Jaden is sitting in the spaceship before Rosh comes to him. Some of the lightsaber stances his fingers arent distorted, and some of them they are.

One more thing I noticed in the tutorial mc5 bone is mentioned yet in the Kyle skeleton skinwrap tutorial file the MC5 bone isn't there....

Alright, mc5 is not part of the JA skeleton so it's left out or deleted.

I'm guessing the same distortion happens in modview, correct?.

First cause:

If you moved bones of the arm/hand out of their original position it will distort the mesh when anims of those joints are triggered.

2nd cause could be a weighting error:

What happens if you select the lhand bone and rotate it in max? do the same with the rhand bone. If nothing happens, try rotating the first bone of each finger to pinpoint the problem.

Sometimes stray verts are assigned to bones we didnt intend to, or its a mistake on our part, i've had a few of those myself. If you cant find anything wrong, i can take a look at the max file.

Hmm yeah the hands have a bunch of stray verts and the skeleton has been posed instead of being the default stance.

For example, the wrists are wonky because their joint (edge for bending if you prefer) are not placed correctly over the bones pivot points. Just by rotating rhand you can clearly see its not placed properly, the only fix is to adapt the mesh by rescaling it or adding edges where needed for the bend to occur.

Archived