Home

Unresponsive CD Drive

Da_man

I have A strange problem with my CD drive. Whenever I open it up to put in a new CD, my whole computer locks up whenever it closes. I have to restart the whole damn computer to put a new CD in. Can anyone give my any tips on how to fix it? I'm sorry I can't give anymore info, but that's all i know, and I don't know where to begin.

1) For starters, uninstall and re-download your video and motherboard drivers.

2) Are you using INCD or AnyDisk? Dvd43? If so, uninstall them immediately and any similar program.

3) Have you burned/copied/etc any CD's onto your computer? If so, look for DRM and uninstall it as certain DRM is known for doing this. This problem happens -most- often with DRM being installed, so I'd do a check before it does anymore damage to your computer.

4) Uninstall the drive from the device manager and let your OS pick it up again. Alsol look at the transfer mode and see if it is currently on PIO. Set it to DMA or vice versa and see.

5) Hard-drives on SATA onboard can freeze up IDE channels. Check if this is your configuration:

IDE1 primary master cd-rw

IDE2 primary master dvd burner

Place the dvd burner on IDE1 as a slave to cd burner and see if that works. IDE2 might have gone bad for you.

6) This might sound weird, but check your clock and see if it has reset or something. Motherboard related problems can appear when the onboard battery dies, so check or replace the battery.

7) Check your RAM. A broken, dead, mismounted, etc RAM card can cause this problem.

8) Replacing the entire drive can also help, but only do this if you have no other choice.

Hope any of that helps.

1) I'll try that.

2) Not using any of those.

3) I don't burn any CDs, but I( have ripped a couple, but none of them had DRM, I'm sure.

4) I'll try that too.

5) I don't have a CD RW, or DVD burner, just a DVD-CD drive.

6) Clock Is fine.

7) RAM is fine.

8) I think my dad has a spare lying around somewhere.

Archived