Home

Seeking Help Getting Sound to TIE Fighter

CrisG

I was researching how to run TIE CD on XP and figured it out with the help of some great info on the net. Here are the commands to enter to DoxBox to get it to run. This is the version of TIE that installed to a folder on C called TIECD, it is between the original DOS version and the Collectors CD version which iinstalled into LucasArts Directory.

Set up a directory called DOS on your C drive and follow these steps once you have the autentic Lucas TIE CD disk in your computer:

mount c c:\dos

moutn d D:\ -t cdrom

d:

install (choose complete install) once installed enter:

c:

cd tiecd

tie

Use the advanced sound setup with X-Wing/Tie Fighter. Choose Sound Blaster for sound effects and midi for music. That will vastly increase the quality of the music playback. More symphonic instead of bleeps and bloops.

For Tie Fighter, if your joystick has more than two axes you have to install the joystick patch from LucasArts here:

http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/tie.html

Patch Name: Joystick Update

Platform: PC

Format: CD-ROM

Size: 514 KB

Min. Requirements: N/A

Posted: 9/95

Installation: This update will prompt you for the location of the game (where to install the patch), so have this information available before double-clicking on the update file.

WINDOWS 95

Double-click on the "tiecdjoy.exe" file to begin the installation.

DOS

In this example, we have TIE FIGHTER CD-ROM installed on our "C" drive and in the "TIECD" directory. Type "tiecdjoy.exe c:\TIECD" and hit the ENTER key. Before the decompression process can begin, you will receive a prompt that states "Unzip file? [Y|N]", hit the "Y" key to continue.

Corrects: This update should cure problems which some users have experienced with the CD version of TIE Fighter when using the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro, the Suncom Raptor, or other joysticks which may incorporate controls using axes from joystick 2.

Notes: This update will ONLY work if you have done the MAXIMUM or RECOMMENDED install. It will NOT work with the MINIMUM install. If you have done the MINIMUM install, you need only run the install program again and select either of the two larger install options. You don't need to delete your previous installation, and your pilot files (*.TFR) will remain intact.

It has a joystick fix you can download. Download it into your mounted C drive (ie, C:\dosbox\ ). Then, while in Dosbox, with the drives mounted, change to your C drive. Then type “tiecdjoy.exe c:\TIECD” minus the quotation marks. Viola.

I didn’t bother to buy a separate joystick just to run Tie Fighter, I’m still using my Logitech Freedom 2.4 wireless, and it works perfectly fine. The special stuff like the twist axis, throttle, and programable buttons don’t work, but I have two axi, and two buttons, and it works great.

For the sound, using the settings here didn’t work for me with my Sound Blaster X-FI, but I changed it to Sound Blaster Pro, and it seems to work fine. Music and sound effects A-OK.

File: TIECDJOY.EXE (LucasArts FTP Site)

ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/tiecdjoy.exe

it works great and is running fine. Enjoy.

Here is a pack of all the patches for TIE, including the patch to make the Star Destroyers lasers work, a mission patch from Lucas Arts and some other tools and patches:

http://www.filefront.com/14376091/Tie-Fighter-Patches.rar/

and in case you need the full manual, (i got a printed manual with my game disk but it lacks the "Reference" section pages with the detailed pics of the cockpits of the various fighters for some reason), here is a pack of the manual and the quick refernce card:

http://www.filefront.com/14396857/TIE-Figher-Manuals.rar/

and in case you miss the original DOS version Midi music, here are the midi files:

http://www.filefront.com/14396729/TieFighterMidis.zip/

Archived