Home

Mildly Experienced modeler, looking to do some stuff

Toasty Fresh

I've been modeling guns for about four years now, and after recently buying KoTOR again off Steam I instantly notice how BAD the weapons of this game look. Sure, it's old, but really, the textures kinda don't make sense. Also, seeing as almost everyone has computers that can run this game on the highest setting these days, I reckon there should be some higher polygon models for them too.

Now, I have tried modding this game before but it was waaaay harder than other games I've modded due to the lack of a proper editor. What I'm asking is for someone who would be willing to offer some assistance to me in getting some higher-polygon weapon models done by me with some higher-resolution textures into the game as a usable mod. Basically I'm planning on a large-ish mod that overhauls all of the most common weapons in the game, but mostly the guns. I'd be doing the modeling, UV mapping and texturing. Also, of course, I'd like the actual finished file sent to me when completed so that I can upload it.

If anyone helps me with this they will of course be given credits.

Thanks for your time,

-Toasty

Trust me, if you can model the guns, you can definitely get them ingame, that's one of the easier parts. If you only intend to replace ingame guns, just grab a copy of MDL Ops, check the instructions, and try a few test runs. Once you get the hang of it, exporting is a piece of cake.

Edit: You'll also need a copy of KotOR Tool to extract a default gun to use as a base.

I was going to try that but I'm also looking to make some unique meshes for some ofthe unique weapons. Say, the Sith Sniper rifle. I notice it uses a different texture, but I dunno how textures in this game work. Are the textures specified by the meshes, meaning there is a different mesh for each weapon, or is there only one mesh used by all of the blaster rifles in the game and their textures are specified in some other way?

Awesome. Is there a link to a .mdl plugin for Max 2009? There's a bunch for Max 5, but none for 2009.

The only one I'm aware of is this one:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/twl-jame/nwmax/

Try the download for Max 6. I'm not sure about Max 9, but it works in Max 7 and Max 8 without any trouble, so it's probably your best bet. Just make sure you convert to ascii with MDL Ops before you import.

:p well since Marius had 2009 or 2010 and it worked, I didn't think it would be difficult to work.

There's indeed quite a big step going from Max 9 to the 2009 version, less between 2009 & 2010.

Anyway, if your run into to trouble, don't hesitate to post; there quite a few people around who do some stuff in the 3D realm ;)

Archived