Home

GF and Win 7

Rev_Night

After installing the 101 patch and setting compatibility to WinXP, I can play GF so far just fine. The only problem is that it wont run with 3D Acceleration enabled on my Nvidia 8800GTS. I have read a lot of the threads here, and the only user made patches I am finding are ones that turn it off, not turn the acceleration on. Whenever I try to turn it on, the game crashes.

Other notes:

1. Fullscreen mode

2. Have sound just fine

3. Latest drivers (191.07)

4. Game plays from HDD.

5. Tried this AA fix here, didnt work since 3D accell isnt allowed. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=160387

Any thoughts?

Hard to say without having the same OS and adapter, but I'm wondering about some things. First, how did you install the game and the patch? Using the game's and the patch's own installers, or the Q&E installer (because I'm wondering how happy Win7 would be with the former). If you used the Q&E installer, have you tried running the game in a window and then tried enabling 3D acceleration? If you haven't tried that, see if it doesn't crash. If it doesn't, try then quitting and rerunning this time fullscreen and see what happens. If it still crashes, or crashes even windowed, I wonder what might happen if you lowering hardware acceleration or doing other tweaks on your adapter to make it less gee-whiz by current standards. Finally, where did you install GF? In your user directory or in Program Files? The latter can be a problem for older games because they often seem to prefer running from a part of the file system where they have full rights by default.

Archived