Home

Freeze after intro movie (have read stickies)

cloudscapes

Hi all,

It installed correctly so this issue isn't related to the install problems people have. Only the running. However I did try reinstalling (a complete install) just in case.

At first I was getting the XP/G80 problem many have where just after the intro movie, there are horizontal lines all around and the game is frozen (except for sound). I've managed to sort of fix that by turning on compatibility mode (win 98/ME), 256 color mode, and I used GrimDDFix.exe to turn off DirectDraw/DX. That gets rid of the horizontal lines, and Mannt even moves for a few frames, but it freezes afterwards.

Drivers up to date, no other problems with the computer.

WinXP SP2, 8800 GTX...

GF needs more than 256 colors, so that's a problem whether or not it's related to the freezing. I'm curious about whether you installed with Q&E installer (although I don't see how you could really do so otherwise). I'm more curious about where: in Program Files or Program Files (x86) or in your user folder? Odd things can happen if older games are installed in Program Files because they want rights that Vista/Win7 doesn't think they should have. In lieu of uninstalling and reinstalling to your user folder, try disabling 256 colors and enabling admin and see what happens (but sometimes older games still don't behave with admin rights and you just have to install in the user folder although I'm not certain GF is one of them).

Also, assuming you did install with the Q&E installer, have you tried whether GF will run OK in windowed mode?

Archived