Home

Light Amplification Goggles

AHadley

Hello there :)

I've been a followed of this mod for a good two years now, and I'm really impressed by how well you guys are doing!

Now I've got that off my chest I can get on with my technical question :D

I've recently discovered how to get the inventory working in JK3 SP (something I presumed was impossible). My electrobinoculars work to some degree, though they won't zoom in and out with the mouse buttons, and there are some other problems with bacta not operating correctly, but the most annoying of these is my LA Goggles, which instead fill the screen with the oh-so-lovely grey-and-white Missing Texture. I ported my JK2 assets in an attempt to get them to work and the frame shows up now, but that's all it is - a frame with no light amplification, which rather defeats the point.

I gave myself some items in DFMod just now (about half an hour ago, I think) and discovered that your goggles work! How did you do that?

And, just out of interest, are there any other technical achievements you've made with the mod that you feel particularly proud of and don't mind sharing with other modders?

~AHadley

Can you tell me how to get the inventory working in JA sp? Because I'm trying to get the same thing done.

This. Please.

I gave myself some items in DFMod just now (about half an hour ago, I think) and discovered that your goggles work! How did you do that?

And, just out of interest, are there any other technical achievements you've made with the mod that you feel particularly proud of and don't mind sharing with other modders?

~AHadley

I had no involvement with scripting/coding, just mapping and art so to be honest, I have no clue. I can forward your question along to the former technical department of the team, if you'd like, but I can't guarantee I'll get a response (everyone's pretty much gone their separate ways).

As far as assets are concerned, you're free to use anything from the mod as long as you give credit to us.

Can you tell me how to get the inventory working in JA sp? Because I'm trying to get the same thing done.

It's really insanely simple, all you have to do is add some new binds. I don't know why they weren't in the controls section.

"bind [ invprev"

"bind ] invnext"

"bind enter invuse"

Use [ and ] to change through the inventory as you would weapons, and press Enter to use the held item.

Of course, nothing appears in the inventory by itself.

"give item_binoculars"

Binoculars are a nice one to start with, later on you may find yourself wanting other items. Most of the JK2 codes work here, except LAGs.

Wow, that's awesome. Now I can allow players to actually witness the kickass vistas I like to put in my levels. I'll have to let the player know that binoculars are available somehow, and automatically bind keys for them. Maybe when the player comes upon a particular vista, flash 'press [ and ] to browse inventory, and enter to use'? I don't like resorting to flashing huge text on the screen, unfortunately. :(

Put the binds in the main menu (should be easy enough by editing strings, I think... but youd need the .menu file) and let the players discover it for themselves... or drop some other items for them to pick up like a sentry or seeker, and let them discover the inventory that way - it does rather require that they've played Outcast though, so they know what they're doing...

Archived