Home

Player Dialog Help

SithLordDrew

Hello, I have decided to undertake a project to make a Fan Film based on SW:KOTOR. I know I'm not the first but watching ones out there it looks like a lot of fun.

To that end I see some directors have been able to capture the player character’s lips move. After doing much research over the past two days I have concluded I need help. I have extracted the first DLG file and started testing with it. “end_trask01.dlg”

dlgedit.jpg

I have added a new ENTRY after the REPLY. That seems to work just fine. However, when I try to make the Speaker "player" the dialog exits when I reach that point in the dialog. It does not like it. Also, it's not executing any Current Animations I try to make the player execute. Lastly, the CameraAngle seems to make on since to me. No matter what number I put in there it seems to always be the same camera angle in game. To test I am just placing the .DLG file in the override directory.

...and I'm not even at the point to add a .lip file.

If anyone could explain what I'm doing wrong that would be great. Again, I'm not looking to share this dlg file with anyone. I just need it so I can FRAPs the animations and work my magic in the video editor.

~Sith Lord Drew

In a dialog between the pc and an npc, in this case Trask, the blue lines are for the pc and the red lines are for the npc. So in the line you have highlighted, the speaker should be the tag of the npc - you have 'player', that's why the dialog is stopping which would also be kind of redundant b/c in the dialog line above you have the pc already asking "who are you'.

Here is a good tutorial for changing the camera angles:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=165950

And here is a general tutorial for editing dialog files, found in the tutorial section:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=180845

good luck

The reason I have 2 “who are you” is because after the player selects the option “who are you” I want the player character to say “who are you”. If I don’t have the duplicate ENTRY after the REPLY the camera just focuses back to the NPC and I can’t see any of the animations I’m trying to get the player character to do. At least that’s how I think it works. I still have not been able to get the player character to do anything. RAWR!!!!

Only thing I have been able to find is what Stoffe said about 3 years ago :

Essentially you double the text of each Reply node in two Entry nodes you add that follows directly below it (one for male PC, one for female with a gender check conditional script on the first Entry), set the player as Speaker and set the voiceover sound and lipsync on this Entry node. This would make the player character speak the response you pick.

Given the amount of dialog in the game this would be a hellish amount of work though. :)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=182807&highlight=player+dialog

I can't seem to get it to work, maybe it's this map that's the issue?:mad:

~Sith Lord Drew

If I understand you right, you want the pc to ask 'who are you' twice in a row. In that case, in the line you have highlighted above, delete the text for the dialog, then put the tag of trask as the speaker. On the blue line below that which is currently (continue)..put in your text "who are you" with the player/exile as the speaker and tag of Trask as the listener.

Not excatly. I want to pick what to say once, then make the player character speak the response I picked. The goal is to associate a .LIP file to the Player Character to make his lips move. It’s my understanding I can’t associate a .LIP file to a REPLY.

Is there a different approach I should try?

~Sith Lord Drew

I got it to work! ...kinda

If there is a way to get the player character to have a voice over I don't know how. I had to give up on that quest. But for the purpose of just video capturing the player character's mouth moving I did this:

1. Made a new module.
  2. In this module I made an NPC that had the same model as the Player Character I am using in the movie.
  3. Created a new .dlg file with all the correct .lib files to go with it.

The owner looks like the player so I can use the ENTRY fields and not the reply fields. One main drawback is I have to use camera angle 1 every time or else you see the player character talking to another player character. Wanted to share this in case other people were looking for the answer.

~Sith Lord Drew

Archived