Home

nLite, SP3, IE8, etc...

I have ended up wiping my C:\ and re-installed XP on it. Voila, functional computer, but oddly with some MFT fragments due to fragments on the D:\ related to the old installation and me being lazy with my installation.

I am going to eliminate the partition (unless someone wants to give me a good argument for partitioning - I have read many arg's on both sides, and have tried several different implementations, none of which was superior to one big drive) and do another fresh install. I want to do it right this time, and still want to be lazy, so I have downloaded nLite, got my .NET frameworks back up to date, and have the SP3 downloaded. I have my driver files, including some F6 RAID drivers that need to be pre-installed for the Intel Matrix CtrlMgr.

The program seems fairly straightforward, and there are walkthroughs that google has led me to. I am curious if any of you fellow forumites are familiar with the process, and have some insight, caveats, and tips?

Not sure what sort of prize could be involved... cookies seem so mundane, bare bosoms are certainly inappropriate for some viewers, and not every one likes my recipe for potato salad :barf2:

EDIT: My initial installation is Dell OEM XP MCE 2005 SP2. Thought I should include that. Oops.

Well, first attempt at installing off of the slipstreamed disc was a bsod 0x7b... probably improperly added RAID drivers.

Microsoft, it would seem, should make their own slipstreaming tool. Since it is their OS that constantly needs ammending and updating, and since their own programmers are responsible for making internally inconsistent code over the time that passes, so that just using the Windows Update service can slow down your OS environment due to cluttery messiness, it would seem to be an onus on their part to provide an official tool.

BTW, thank you all for looking at the thread! Thank you more for not answering with guesswork!

Archived