Home

The game still crashes

NEOSUCCESS

Hello!

I've been reading about most of the problems people have had and solved the problems I initially had, and now just one last problem remains: the game keeps crashing.

I have a MacBook (4GB DDR, Intel Dual Core 2.1Ghz, ...) and first tried playing it through VirtualPC, but had trouble installing it. I launched my computer in BootCamp and Windows XP (a pirated version though), installed the game with bgbennyboy's installer and the CDs, but had trouble with the sound disappearing after using the menu, the graphics bugging, and crashes now and then. I corrected the HyperThreading problem with the imagecfg.exe method described here http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=98e7ccc7f2ed51e28ae0ca2bedc97%20fd3&threadid=147235 and only the crashing every five minutes or so remained. I tried copying the GRIMDATA to my hard drive and playing without CDs but it still crashed. I tired these files http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=195709 and some other patches, but still the crashing remained. I reinstalled the game, still with bgbennyboy's installer, and then patching it with the files Longcat posted and was able to run the game for as far as getting to the land of the living for the first time and sending the guy off in a chest, but there it crashed again.

What left is there to do? What can it depend on?

For some reason there is no compatibility tab when i enter properties of a file (maybe it's my version of Windows) but as far as I've understood I shouldn't use that anyway?

Trying to install new drivers for my Intel GMA X3100 card now

hmm, that's strange, your gfx card should show up under primary display driver. you have to select it and press enter before it shows up though. but either way, the game should be waay more stable in software mode.

have you tried launching the game straight from the executable and not with the launcher? what I normally do is just make a complete install to harddisk(do not install the directx version that comes with gf, it is way outdated.) copy over my patch like you did, and it should work. If not, the only other solutions I can suggest to you are updating your directx version and reducing hardware acceleration through the directx control panel or install win 98 instead of xp and try to run it on that.

I have not tried the game on a macbook, but it runs fine on my iMac with a radeon card. I suppose you are sporting a nvidia card which could prove slightly more troublesome to get to work:)

Archived