Home

Handmaiden, Influence, and what makes her angry.

StuckInMyPants

So after looking through a bunch of posts on different forums, I never found any concrete information as to what is exactly the cause of Handmaiden becoming angry. Some said it could be caused by gaining any influence with Visas, or by talking to Visas a certain amount of times, or even just spending time with her. I was curious (and a little bored), so I decided to delve a little deeper.

Turns out, the one big thing that makes Handmaiden angry is when the player has 30 or more positive influence with Visas than the player does with Handmaiden. Meaning, if the player has 50 influence with Handmaiden, and 79 influence with Visas, then the player will not trigger Handmaiden's rage. But as soon as there is more than a 29 point gap, the next time the player enters the Ebon Hawk, the scene with Kriea and Handmaiden will play, and Handmaiden will give you the cold shoulder for the rest of the game.

Something else interesting is that this influence gap only goes one way. Meaning if the player has 50 influence with Visas and 100 with Handmaiden, nothing will ever happen because the game only checks to see if Visas' is 30 points higher than Handmaidens'.

It also doesn't necessarily mean that one would have to gain positive influence with both Handmaiden and Visas too. The player could gain negative influence with both, since speech checks are set up to check for either positive influence or negative influence.

For those that aren't too familiar with the workings of influence, influence is on a scale of 0 - 100. 0 is considered having negative influence, 50 is considered neutral influence, and 100 is considered positive influence. An influence check that needs 75 for the player to pass, can also be passed with influence of 25. Since 50 is considered the middle ground, plus or minus 25 points is considered the same, just on different sides of the scale. If you have positive influence with a NPC, the NPC will be the same alignment as you. If you have Negative influence with an NPC, the NPC will be the opposite alignment as you. That's really the only difference.

So, this basically boils down to a few different ways the player can gain influence with Handmaiden and Visas without Handmaiden ever becoming angry:

Handmaiden Positive & Visas Positive

Handmaiden Positive & Visas Negative

Handmaiden Negative & Visas Negative

You just won't be able to gain negative influence with Handmaiden and positive influence with Visas without her getting mad. But if you insist on doing that, you can change a few variables in Kotor Save Editor (KSE) to allow you to talk to her again.

This is under Globals, and then Numerics.

000_Hand_Angry: If this is set to "1", then change it to "0".

000_Hand_Finale: If this is set to "1", then change it to "0".

003EBO_Visas_Hand : If "this is set to "2", then change it to "1". If it is already set at "0" or "1", then leave it alone.

On a side note, you only need 75 (or 25) influence with Handmaiden to turn her into a Jedi. You need 75 (or 25) to pass the influence check, about her father, after sparring with her the 3rd time. After that, you'll have to pass another influence check that is at the most, 75 or 25 (it actually could be less), to have her abandon her oath to Atris.

And that's pretty much it, now that my curiosity is sated.

This however is common knowledge. Atleast I thought it was.

Generally checks have + and -, however some influence related things can only be triggered only by positive influence, not negative. For example Bao-Dur confronting Kreia if falling to the Dark Side, and the Bao-Mandalore scenes on the Hawk...

I couldn't find any information regarding exactly what causes Handmaiden to become angry. Guess I should've just asked first, oh well. And yeah, most of it is common knowledge, but I figured I'd explain in depth just in case a newbie (<-- irony) stumbles across it.

But I've never seen anyone mention that there is a 30 point threshold regarding influence. If you knew that, then I'd say to you: Stop hoarding the good information! :p

Also just wanted to say I'm running like 6 of your mods and am enjoying them immensely. They keep in line with Obsidian's game. That is, they are small changes that enhance the game without changing the feel of vanilla. Seriously, Good job!

That went right over my head. I'm not familiar with how to open or view those files. The best I can do is load up KSE and change a few values. That's how I found out the influence threshold; Changing influence and then loading up the game to see what will happen.

I found which values are changed after Handmaiden becomes angry just by comparing the Numerics between a save where she is mad and a save where she is not (which was actually fairly easy to identify since they're all named "Hand" something-or-other). I'm now getting a feeling that I did it the hard way. :\

Did some research and the best I could come up with is KotOR Tools. I'm assuming that's what you use to look at the files? I messed around with it for a while and looked through the k_003ebo_enter in 003EBO.mod file, but I must say it's a bit over my head with the hexadecimal and scripts. The dlg files are easy enough to mess around with and it's pretty interesting to look at.

Anyways, I've run into a problem and instead of spamming topics, I'll ask it here: I'm having trouble triggering the ability to gain the prestige class. I know I get it from Kreia on the Ebon Hawk.

-I am currently at level 15 with the ability to level to 16.

-I have Visas in my party.

-My alignment is at 10 (I used KSE to put it there, it was originally at 34, but that shouldn't matter right?)

-I've exhausted all of Kreia's dialog and she still won't give the line about Becoming more powerful.

-I've zoned in and out of places to reload the module.

I found the numeric in KSE ( 000_Prestige ), but I'm curious as to what I'm missing. I'm also running TSLRCM 1.8.1. Any thoughts?

Did some research and the best I could come up with is KotOR Tools. I'm assuming that's what you use to look at the files? I messed around with it for a while and looked through the k_003ebo_enter in 003EBO.mod file, but I must say it's a bit over my head with the hexadecimal and scripts. The dlg files are easy enough to mess around with and it's pretty interesting to look at.

Anyways, I've run into a problem and instead of spamming topics, I'll ask it here: I'm having trouble triggering the ability to gain the prestige class. I know I get it from Kreia on the Ebon Hawk.

-I am currently at level 15 with the ability to level to 16.

-I have Visas in my party.

-My alignment is at 10 (I used KSE to put it there, it was originally at 34, but that shouldn't matter right?)

-I've exhausted all of Kreia's dialog and she still won't give the line about Becoming more powerful.

-I've zoned in and out of places to reload the module.

I found the numeric in KSE ( 000_Prestige ), but I'm curious as to what I'm missing. I'm also running TSLRCM 1.8.1. Any thoughts?

Your alignment has to be very dark or light(should be 25 for darkside, and 75 for lightside), alongside being level 15.

Not sure how KOTOR decides your alignment. I once tried like you to alter the prestige gaining by changing 0 to 100 in KSE, however still only Sith options appear. Obviously the same is true for you (alingment change not accepted by the game in general, no prestige option).

Also, as mentioned before, there is a decompiled version of that file in 003EBO.mod.

After messing around with it some more, for whatever reason, it appears that the game doesn't update the LS/DS Values until you actually gain some in game. Even though I had my DS value at 10, it wouldn't give me the option to acquire the prestige class. But as soon as I gained DS points through actions (killing Taran in the Dantooine port), the option became immediately available.

It also seems the bonus you get when you max out your LS/DS doesn't take effect until you do the same thing, or rather it doesn't even show up until you get some points.

Not sure how KOTOR decides your alignment. I once tried like you to alter the prestige gaining by changing 0 to 100 in KSE, however still only Sith options appear. Obviously the same is true for you (alingment change not accepted by the game in general, no prestige option).

Also, as mentioned before, there is a decompiled version of that file in 003EBO.mod.

Which means you probably would have been able to actually switch if you would've did something to gain LS points. Weird, huh?

I brought Visas into my party for a couple of hours and that was it.

Handmaiden stopped talking to me period. Everytime I spoke to her she said "Leave me alone, I have nothing to say to you"

And because of that, I didn't learn her backstory, or Atris, or anything. Goddamit. She's one of my favorite characters in the game too.

Archived