Home

[TSL] Replacing The Ebon Hawk Model

Darth_Tempust

So I've upped the triangle count on the ebon hawk model "v_ehawk.mdl" and exported it out. However when I go in-game, it still shows the old one (At Dantooine atm).

Am I replacing the wrong model?

EDIT:

I figured this out, so I'm going to attempt to replace the level mdl file that has the Ebon Hawk landed in Dantooine. Stay tuned for updates.

Ok so wierd issues:

1) When I move away from the new map MDL, it will render invisible.

2) No map shadows or texture color tints render on the new MDL's textures, but character shadows do work. It's using the stock KOTOR 2 textures.

3) I have to set the illumination in each trimesh to something other than black (0 0 0) or they will show up black ingame. I'm thinking this might be an issue caused by issue 2.

1) The viewdistance for your new Ebon Hawk .mdl ingame is extremely small?

2) Map shadows? Do you mean normal/bump maps? Colour tints? As in game shaders?

3) What's a trimesh? Do you just mean the .mdl file's mesh? From what I understand I don't see how this is a problem. Something that has illumation set as 0,0,0 disables the RGB channels thus rendering it a solid black.

Just trying to to identify problems with Kotor before I start modding myself. Haven't had time to read/watch the tutorials but I'm trying to understand what issues people are putting up with when modding this game.

Also, how did you increase the tri count? Did you just smooth the entire thing? Did this change anything with the UV map at all? When modelling with Max I got the impression you don't change the mesh at all once you start texturing.

@ Sam Spain

1) Not too sure how the cull distance would have been changed seeing as I only edited the module MDL, unless that information is somehow stored in it.

2) Map shadows as in lightmaps. I've figured out it will only show lighting effects if the illumation is set at 0 0 0.

3) Trimesh is the NWMax modifier on the mesh which has some options including the illumination.

I manually edited the model adding in more loops while maintaining the original uvw layout. It's using the stock KOTOR 2 texture still.

@ Disturbed205

Yeah I found it is built-in, so I'm trying to replace that module.

After ALOT of research, both the NWMax & MDLOps are unable to work with lightmap-enabled module MDLs. The MDL needs to have its standard diffuse texture along with a lightmap texture in order for it to work.

The NWN MDL compiler is able to output proper module MDLs, but it doesn't currently work with Kotor. This explains why M478's modules look so...bright. Contacting cchargin to see if he can add in a feature in order for this to work.

Archived