Home

Monkey Kombat: The good and bad

Guest ZeroXcape

Guest ZeroXcape

Feel free to leave your responses about Monkey Kombat below, and remember to add some detail wink.gif

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

monkey combat, while entertaining for the first time playing it, became a bothersome and tedious memorization of key strokes rather than a fun experience.

i think LEC can not go wrong if they do away with monkey combat and replace it with good ol' insult blankety blank.

------------------

punksig.jpg

Stop pretending that you don't want me.

I've only played EMI once, thus playing Monkey Combat only once, I thought it was frustrating at the start, but ok once I got into the rythem, but I've heard that like the directions from Dead Eye Dave's house they change every game, so I don't think I can be bothered learning each move again off by heart mad.gif

------------------

starsig.gif

Victory? Victory, you say? Not victory. A defeat, it was, Master Obi-Wan. Begun, the Clone War has.

Monkey Combat is a terrible "puzzle" that never should have been invented. It totally killed the game! Right now, I'm playing EMI again and I'm not looking forward to the part where I have to get a paper and a pen and spend at least three or four hours, learning all the moves. When I first played the game it took me three days just to understand how things were supposed to work and then I still had to learn the moves.

In other words, it sucks.

------------------

untitled.jpg

Guest The Feral Chicken

nfgb: Insult Blankety Blank? Can you imagine Lily Savage in that...that would kick arse! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

3 or 4 hours??? 15-20 minutes, more like...

------------------

cannon.gif

Feral

Monkey Kombat was annoying and not fun! More Insult "Something or another". The arm wrestling was fun. I think for the next game there should be more of that stuff. NO MORE MONKEY KOMBAT!

------------------

"I am El Chango Diablo"

i think they should stick with the insults those will never get old. Plus monkey kombat was boring and the samething every fight, lec should be dissapointed, i mean these codes were sooooo annoying, and i did throw them out and i had to redo them for stupid lechuck.

[This message has been edited by DiScO StU (edited March 22, 2001).]

The thing with monkey combat [MK] is that you have to use your brain.....

MK is very very easy to learn and i don't understand why people have a difficulty in learning it. I played the game again last night to ensure i knew what i was talking about and i have to say i finished the whole monkey combat thing in less than 20 mins.

Use a simple table to help learn the moves....

E.G.

Anxious Ape = AA

Bobbing Baboon = BB

Charging Chimp = CC

Drunken Monkey = DM

Gimpy Gibbon = GG

stanceguide1.jpg

Then insert into the spaces abbreviations.... e.g.

If you wanted to change from Charging Chimp to Drunken Monkey and the combination of moves was Eek - Ack - Chee

Then you enter it like this:....

stanceguide2.jpg

This table is also useful....

stanceguide3.jpg

So if in your game Anxious Ape loses to Charging Chimp and Drunken Monkey your table would look like this:

stanceguide4.jpg

But probably the most useful EASY tool available when using Monkey Combat is the SPACE BAR use it all the time. When JO JO, LeChuck or any other monkey finished their go press spacebar.... look at their current stance then your "your who beats who table" then decide what stance you need to change to, look at your current stance then look at your "combination chart" and decide which moves you need to perform to get to a stance that beats your opponents stance.

Really it is very very easy... using the above method anybody can beat anyone.

Any comments? Thanx for your time...

[This message has been edited by Pecker (edited March 26, 2001).]

Guest grannen

Yes, if you don't use the space bar and take notes it is almost impossible to solve the fighting!

Also remember that your notes will be used when fighting Jojo Jr.

------------------

Calvin.gifHobbes_2.gif and Grannen

Guest grannen

Originally posted by cocacola:

it sucks

i don't know what to do

how to do it

when to do it

and why to do it

help me

Fight the Monkey

Kick him

When it's your turn

So you will be skilled enough to win over Jojo Jr

------------------

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't like the Monkey Kombat part too much. It felt like LEC used it to make the game feel a bit longer. Do you realise how little there is to do if you wouldn't have MK on Monkey Island?

In Monkey 5 i'd like Insult Swordfighting back, but it shouldn't be a big part of the game like it was in Monkey 1 and 3. Swordfighting was fun in Monkey 1, and ok in Monkey 3. I think it's getting a little tiresome and LEC should leave Insult Something in as a small mini-game in the next installment. Or at least give it a smaller part of the plot. And as always MORE PUZZLES!

I didn't mind the insult arm wrestling, that would be good for the next MI game, but I didn't like how you didn't have to learn the insults, I'd rather learn the insults, kinda like you had to do with Monkey Combat, but the combo's for MC change each game which is what I don't like frown.gif

------------------

smurfsig.gif

Check Out My New Homepage, And Sign The Guestbook, Otherwise I'll Be Upset!

Guest grannen

My impression is that they wanted us to have a prolonged stay in the game because they didn't know how to make the game long enough!

By inserting the Kombat Episode we all thought that the the time to finish the game would justify the price contra time.

The Kombat was a poor mans solution from LUA!

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Archived