Home

Kaurora: Talk about it right here!

I've finally managed to test the new Kaurora version by modifying my old test area with a lightmap and importing it into the game.

It's a partial success. In the end, after several tries I was able to make the game successfully import the area, but the lightmap is rendered incorrectly and is messed up. This relates to the problem I mentioned earlier, about "desemplifying" the vertex info. My algorithm has to be bugged somehow.

On the plus side, the fact that the lightmap is indeed rendered in game means that all the rest of the info is correct and in place. I'll now concentrate my efforts onto the algorithm and hopefully will soon be able to send you a first, working version.

Great news Mag!

Happy I found a way to get this stuff done in 3Ds Max.

I wonder, would there be a way, to use Max script functions to, euh, get the correct vertex count thingy :p

No idea how that would go >_<

While were waiting for Mag, could someone explain lightmaps better to me?

Are they not just a second texture applied to a mesh that simulates shadows and light source? If that is the case, what would happen if you just leave the lightmap texture and delete the original texture?

Quanon: yes, there is an option hidden somewhere inside Max's menus to avoid the vertex manipulation. But I prefer the application to be able to handle any situation which is thrown at it.

Disbeliever: yes, they are simply a second texture which gets applied over the first one by color multiplication. If you don't have the original texture, only the lightmap gets applied on the mesh.

Archived